LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

SmileBASIC 4 Discussion「プチコン4」

Root / General / [.]

📌
MZ952Created:
It's hard to explain, but it seems that the x-y mins/maxes of the circle are different ARGB colors than the rest of the circle. Either I'm missing something crucial here, or this is a graphical artifact, which wouldn't be too surprising in this early stage of release.
Looking at it... I think maybe, when it draws a circle, what's actually happening is that it draws a single quadrant, then copies and pastes it for the other three corners. It just so happens that the quadrants overlap a bit at the ends. This wasn't a problem in SB3, because there was no transparency... now that there is, though, the overlapping ends blend together.

Looking at it... I think maybe, when it draws a circle, what's actually happening is that it draws a single quadrant, then copies and pastes it for the other three corners.
That's a clever observation. Actually, the effect spans diagonally too, so it's probably copying octants.

Maybe. We might also want to choose a standard key shortcut that kills the subprogram.

Anyone here have SB4 and CFW installed on their Switch?

Maybe. We might also want to choose a standard key shortcut that kills the subprogram.
Probably just Esc for that.

I want to mention the differences with project structure and the Play Menu, since they're not immediately clear if you can't read Japanese. Like before every entry in the gallery is a project folder (no nesting) but now they can have metadata: icon, title, and description. The idea is that project folders are less for organization and more for distributing a program or game. But you might want to use them as general folders, so the functionality is still there. When you press A or + on a project in the gallery, you aren't brought to the list of files in the folder. Instead you are prompted to start the file named TXT:MAIN.PRG in that project. This establishes a standardized "main project program" which is a nice thing to know and have. If you press - on the project, you are brought to its file list which functions basically the same way as it does in SB3, though it only shows TXT files. This is how you would run a program stored in DEFAULT for example. (Though presumably you aren't allowed to upload individual files anymore, only projects.) If you long press A you get a submenu that lets you send likes and stuff. You can manage different types of files in projects from the File Menu (copy/delete etc) which is basically the same as SB3. You could totally make a MAIN.PRG for your DEFAULT that acts like a cool browser or launcher if you wanted to. It would've been nice if you could, say, pick a GRP in the play menu to look at it, but the play menu lists ONLY TXTs.

I just noticed that T? is short for TPRINT.

And ?? is short for INSPECT.
 ? PRINT
T? TPRINT
?? INSPECT
This makes me wonder what happens when you write, say, ????. In SB3 this just printed four newlines, but SB4 might try to interpret this as an entire function name and throw an error.

So, text screens can be moved around freely, since they've been combined with BGs... there's keyboard input... I guess there's nothing stopping you from sticking a Quake-style debug console in your game if you want to.

So, at first, I didn't understand what was meant by being able to reference multidimensional arrays as if they were one-dimensional (I thought that maybe when you referenced it that way, it would return an array containing the "row" of the multidimensional), but
DIM M=5,N=3
DIM A=ARRAY%(M,N)
DIM I,X,Y
FOR Y=0 TO M-1
 FOR X=0 TO N-1
  A[Y,X]=Y*N+X
 NEXT X
NEXT Y
FOR I=0 TO M*N-1
 ?A[I]
NEXT I
> 0
> 1
> 2
> 3
'...
> 13
> 14
Wow! That's useful!

Is there a "replace all" or "replace and next" button somewhere with the keyboard's search function? It would do me a number of favors...

Is there a "replace all" or "replace and next" button somewhere with the keyboard's search function? It would do me a number of favors...
Shift+find is replace (and it does replace and next by default), but I'm not sure if there's a replace all.

Shift+find is replace (and it does replace and next by default), but I'm not sure if there's a replace all.
HOLY SHIT CALC IS BACK PRAISE THE LORD

~half of SBLIB.PRG: https://pastebin.com/raw/shZ3g4SX GAME_TALK.PRG: https://pastebin.com/raw/HxzQZSiZ (transferred by Perska)

Probably just Esc for that.
Pause/Break might also be a good key (it was built for halting BASIC programs after all.)

Somehow it didn't occur to me to test this until now, but the F9-F11 keys for bringing up a subprogram work while the main program is running. In other words, unless the subprogram needs to remain in view at all times, or needs to retain state between uses, the KEYBOARD trick isn't actually necessary, since you can run a subprogram at will. EDIT: Actually, even if it does need to stay in view at all times, pressing the corresponding key would just kill it and start a new one, so it really just is "if it needs to retain state between uses". EDIT2: Earlier, I suggested the possibility of having a live GRP editor while the main program is running. Well, one interesting consequence of this is that the built-in GRP editor is in fact that, since you can open and close it while the main program is running.

geez I missed 3 pages of posts lol EDIT: went from 92 notifications to 4 LOLLYPOP

LOLLYPOP
what Should we update the site to support SB4 programs (such as adding a new category, new minimum compatible device, etc.)?

LOLLYPOP
what Should we update the site to support SB4 programs (such as adding a new category, new minimum compatible device, etc.)?
yes we should

LOLLYPOP
Don't quote me on this (haha) but I think Random is working on a new site at the moment so I don't think he'll be adding categories for SB4