LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

SmileBASIC 4 Discussion「プチコン4」

Root / General / [.]

📌
MZ952Created:
UIRUN?
secret command that lets you override the software keyboard with another program, hopefully another keyboard

Wdym by another program?

Wdym by another program?
The software keyboard is a smilebasic program that runs in its own slot

Oh ok

Makes me curious, how does the keyboard program pass data to the editor (another program I presume)?

Makes me curious, how does the keyboard program pass data to the editor (another program I presume)?
PUSHKEY. There's a function named PUSHKEY that accepts strings or character codes (as well as some special control code numbers) and simulates keyboard input. It's available in every environment, but it's how the UI program sends keypresses to the rest of SmileBASIC. There isn't really one "standard" means of keyboard input (maybe you can consider the USB keyboard to be the default) but PUSHKEY is a programmable way to effectively load keystrokes into the key buffer.

is there an English discord for Switch SmileBasic4?

PUSHKEY sends the data, but is there a corresponding function to receive the keyboard buffer? Would be neat if it were possible to replace the IDE altogether. (Although, you could probably do that entirely without such functions.)

PUSHKEY sends the data, but is there a corresponding function to receive the keyboard buffer? Would be neat if it were possible to replace the IDE altogether. (Although, you could probably do that entirely without such functions.)
I guess INKEY$ is what you're referring to. We don't know if the editor is a program since it's separate from the keyboard.

Smilebasic 4 looks to now be available on the NA eShop.

As a little bonus measure I actually put a notice on the good ol' PTC Wiki for those who still use it about the new SBS lol

Is Petit4Send still the preferred method of transferring data from PC -> SB4, using 2 SparkFun Pro Micros (5V / 16MHz)? What about simply emulating a USB keyboard for use with other apps/games? Will it work that way too? I had tried using a RPiZero when FUZE first released, but its ability to work with the Switch was poor, supposedly because the Zero could not effectively emulate the kind of mode Switch needed from a keyboard (unlike my Wii U, which handled USB keyboard emulation via the Zero with no issue).

Is Petit4Send still the preferred method of transferring data from PC -> SB4, using 2 SparkFun Pro Micros (5V / 16MHz)? What about simply emulating a USB keyboard for use with other apps/games? Will it work that way too? I had tried using a RPiZero when FUZE first released, but its ability to work with the Switch was poor, supposedly because the Zero could not effectively emulate the kind of mode Switch needed from a keyboard (unlike my Wii U, which handled USB keyboard emulation via the Zero with no issue).
If you have a hacked 3DS with SmileBASIC, I think using SmileBASIC file manager is faster/easier for transferring data, since SB3 keys can be downloaded in SB4. If you don't have that, Petit4Send might be the best option. I haven't used Petit4Send, so I don't know how slow it is, but I think the 3DS/SBFM method might be faster, especially for graphics.

If you have a hacked 3DS with SmileBASIC, I think using SmileBASIC file manager is faster/easier for transferring data, since SB3 keys can be downloaded in SB4. If you don't have that, Petit4Send might be the best option. I haven't used Petit4Send, so I don't know how slow it is, but I think the 3DS/SBFM method might be faster, especially for graphics.
I believe Petit4Send can transfer just under 300 bytes/s, much slower when dealing with a large amount of content compared to official methods like uploading from SB3 and downloading with SB4. I do have a hacked n3DS, and while I have updated it to the latest FW and CFW to run on it, I haven't used it for any other non-legit purpose (not even homebrew) since Nintendo updated the FW with means of telemetry much like the Switch. Kinda hesitant to edit saves if it can determine if they have been edited through unofficial means. But let's say I go the PC -> 3DS -> upload -> Switch route. I would have to buy SmileBASIC 3, and if I wanted to go beyond 4MB per file, I'd have to purchase that as well. Does what I upload become public to everyone, even if I don't give out the key? I mean, would my stuff get thrown into some categories like "What's New" and such? What about the content itself when uploaded? Is it scanned or reviewed? While my goal is to make unique stuff, much of my beginning steps towards that would involve copyright content. Perhaps I can skip the 3DS entirely, since I have a launch Switch that I have running a CFW, though I fear that editing saves on that would be an even bigger target for Nintendo to focus on with their telemetry. I've only used CFW on Switch for homebrew, which while I have injected saves, it's only from my own backups which were legitimately crafted from the games themselves. No editing.

CTCaer is working on adding USB mass storage device support to Hekate, so it may be possible to edit saves without loading a CFW in the future. I was thinking of writing a homebrew to download from SBAPI using a key and inject the downloaded contents into the savedata. It seems that wslay is in devkitPro package repository, so I can use that for websocket support.

CTCaer is working on adding USB mass storage device support to Hekate, so it may be possible to edit saves without loading a CFW in the future. I was thinking of writing a homebrew to download from SBAPI using a key and inject the downloaded contents into the savedata. It seems that wslay is in devkitPro package repository, so I can use that for websocket support.
Providing support for USB mass storage devices is different from accessing encrypted NAND though (where the saves are kept).

Does what I upload become public to everyone, even if I don't give out the key? I mean, would my stuff get thrown into some categories like "What's New" and such?
nah, sb3 doesn't have any shit like that
What about the content itself when uploaded? Is it scanned or reviewed? While my goal is to make unique stuff, much of my beginning steps towards that would involve copyright content.
yeah but it's only scanned by a robot and it only takes like one minute, any copyright complications are dealt with afterwards. also, copyright shouldn't be an issue unless you're actually stealing characters, graphics, music and/or sound effects. you cannot copyright gameplay features.

I believe Petit4Send can transfer just under 300 bytes/s, much slower when dealing with a large amount of content compared to official methods like uploading from SB3 and downloading with SB4. I do have a hacked n3DS, and while I have updated it to the latest FW and CFW to run on it, I haven't used it for any other non-legit purpose (not even homebrew) since Nintendo updated the FW with means of telemetry much like the Switch. Kinda hesitant to edit saves if it can determine if they have been edited through unofficial means. But let's say I go the PC -> 3DS -> upload -> Switch route. I would have to buy SmileBASIC 3, and if I wanted to go beyond 4MB per file, I'd have to purchase that as well. Does what I upload become public to everyone, even if I don't give out the key? I mean, would my stuff get thrown into some categories like "What's New" and such? What about the content itself when uploaded? Is it scanned or reviewed? While my goal is to make unique stuff, much of my beginning steps towards that would involve copyright content. Perhaps I can skip the 3DS entirely, since I have a launch Switch that I have running a CFW, though I fear that editing saves on that would be an even bigger target for Nintendo to focus on with their telemetry. I've only used CFW on Switch for homebrew, which while I have injected saves, it's only from my own backups which were legitimately crafted from the games themselves. No editing.
I wouldn't worry about telemetry much on the 3DS front. Nintendo doesn't seem to really care about homebrew on the console anymore. Plus, you can take precautionary measures to prevent Nintendo from receiving information about your 3DS. You're missing out! About the 4 MB limit, you can split your project's files into multiple projects, and then combine them on SB4 (you have 10 slots, so that's 40 MB you get to work with if you aren't planning to use the slots for anything else). Though I should clarify, you don't get to store 40 MB of data arbitrarily. You only get 10 upload slots, and each one has 4 MB. I should also clarify that projects can include multiple files, so you aren't restricted to uploading one file per slot. I would recommend actorbug's PACK tool, which can compress and pack files, but I haven't found a tool that decompresses them on SB4. If you're worried about copyright detection, you can take down your projects as soon as you download them to SB4. That way, SmileBoom won't really get the chance to see them and take them down.

Well, I guess there is a way to bypass copyright infringement when temporarily uploading files from sb3 to download with sb4, and that would be to either encrypt it (like XORing the data), or re-arrange the data in blocks prior to upload so that it become indistinguishable, then decrypt/re-arrange them back in sb4. XORing might be an issue with GRPs, considering they are 16bit in sb3 vs 32bit in sb4. It's not going to be some working project I'd be sharing. Just a transmission of files from one platform to another.
yeah but it's only scanned by a robot and it only takes like one minute, any copyright complications are dealt with afterwards. also, copyright shouldn't be an issue unless you're actually stealing characters, graphics, music and/or sound effects. you cannot copyright gameplay features.
One of the things I wish I could do is port MM2 PTC and leave it at that, but obviously it infringes on copyright, hence why after I port it, I could then alter what can't be kept. It would be something if I asked Capcom, and they let me, but we know they won't. Of course, should I feel the need to make other adjustments and additions afterwards......
I wouldn't worry about telemetry much on the 3DS front. Nintendo doesn't seem to really care about homebrew on the console anymore. Plus, you can take precautionary measures to prevent Nintendo from receiving information about your 3DS. You're missing out!
Had already made necessary changes, like with the Spotpass and Friend settings, but still. It's too bad that the law in Europe doesn't hold elsewhere, since those folk get the ability to restrict what Nintendo receives from the Switch.