LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

End of 2019 Programming Contest

Root / Site Discussion / [.]

YolkaiCreated:
For the end of the decade, we're launching a new contest! This time, we're experimenting with a new Double Quarter-Screen Program (2QSP) format.
StoryIt's 11:59 on December 31, 2019. Your rowdy, insomniac [child voxels/plant children] are being kept entertained by microcontroller-driven typewriters (without vacuum tubes) and some other computer nerd stuff while you finish meal prep for the next day. SUDDENLY, as the date changes, a bug in a popular datetime library causes your electronics to fail! The only computer that still works is a SmileBASIC machine with two small data banks. Write a program to distract the [child voxels/plant children] so you can finish preparations.
End of 2019 2QSP Contest SUBMISSION DEADLINE: December 31 2019 11:59 PM EST VOTING DEADLINE: January 4 2020 12:00 PM EST Because it's a busy time of year, the dates may be extended if enough people request it. Rules The rules of the contest are the same as previous QSP contests, with the following changes.
QSP Definition and RulesQSP, or "quarter-screen program" is a program that fits within one 3DS editor screenshot with WIDTH 16 enabled (294 characters). Your entire program must be reproducible using the SB keyboard from one screenshot with the 16x16 character width enabled.
  • Only unambiguous characters typeable on the default keyboard are legal
  • No other files may be included, including graphic assets. WRITING to files is acceptable: the initial state must only be the single file.
  • You must be able to provide an actual screenshot of your code at submission.
  • The primary change is that you are allowed to use TWO text/prg files for your submission. Each file MUST individually follow the QSP rules as stated above. The intent is that the two files should "come together" and form one whole program that wouldn't otherwise fit in a QSP. Any of these would be valid:
  • One file contains loading and setup code and the other contains the main program; the loader would launch the main program when run
  • One file contains the main program and another contains functions used by it
  • One file contains the main program and another contains text data
  • One file is the main program and the other is a secondary program, but they both depend on each other What you SHOULDN'T do is just submit two QSPs. That isn't the point. Essentially you'll end up submitting two QSP text files, one being the "main program" which the player will run, and the other which can be whatever you want (as long as they "come together" in a way that fits the contest.) Submission Due to the format, the submission procedure changes correspondingly. Submit your entries as a project folder containing the two files. You MUST submit your entries to the form at https://smilebasicsource.com/osp/. This is required. Please name your submission in the form with the same filename as the uploaded project folder. Use a screenshot of the "main" file's code for the "screenshot" image, and a screenshot of the other file's code for the "code" image. Please specify which of the files you've submitted is the "main" file, because that is the one people will run to play your entry. At the end of the submission period, voting will be conducted as normal. Filename Claiming When using separate files in code golf, it is advantageous to pick the shortest file name possible. This will inevitably lead to collisions if two people pick the same name. In this thread, please claim the two filenames you will be using for this contest so that staff can collect all submissions into one key without any duplicates. Claimed 1-Char Filenames: _, ., 0, 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, D, G, H, I, K, M, N, R, S, X, Y Banned Filenames: @ For tips on reducing code size to fit within the available space, please see OSP Code Golfing Tips Sharing Thread (parts of this post were contributed by snail_)

• claiming 2 and 1

How I can make a 2QSP Program? I want to participate.

Claiming HK-A and HK-B EDIT: im now revoking my prev. claimed names for "H" and "N" now that snail_ gave the N

claiming PRO and K lol. I don't know how I'm gonna do this considering I haven't touched my 3ds in months but uhhhh good luck everyone!

claiming A and _ edit: revoking claims as 3ds charger is broken edit 2: snail_ is now the official owner of _

claiming C and Z (definitely not dumb. ) i dropped out 21 minutes ago

Fuck cant manage to fit mandelbrot set viewer in a QSP

Claiming S and _ ahead of time Later today I'll polish and put up an example 2QSP because the format is a bit weird; it's not my contest entry but I decided to try making an example because we've been discussing the contest for abouta week now. EDIT: I stole _ from answer so now N is free to claim

That's a lot of contest.

claiming 2 and 1 (probably won't use 1 though)
    how can you not use one if its a 2qsp lmao

I'll probably only use a short name for the second file The first one is loaded from the menu so the filename doesn't matter; I only need to LOAD/EXEC/USE the other file from the program, where the name length matters And I'm not going to bother reserving "12-TETRIS_2" lol

I'll probably only use a short name for the second file The first one is loaded from the menu so the filename doesn't matter; I only need to LOAD/EXEC/USE the other file from the program, where the name length matters
    For a moment I thought you were chicken. I had read your post 2 times before I realized it said 12Me21 goddammit your pictures are very similar EDIT: used to be similar

I'm going to claim R and G for obvious reasons (because R, and G are the first 2 letters in RGames).

Interesting idea. Uh, I guess I'll claim just 0.

You're not going to use two files?

claiming I and II edit:claims revoked, list hasn't updated yet

Claiming "."

You're not going to use two files?
    Nah, I'll probably use one of the files as a once-exec function library, so it doesn't matter what the main program is named.

I claim 6 and 9