LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

Dev/Bugreports for SKKBAUI

Root / Talk About Programs / [.]

CyberYoshi64Created:
I've never used this, but I just have to say this: The tooling ecosystem in SB4 is very different from SB3. With subprograms and UIRUN you might want to reconsider your vision for this. It would be really interesting to see some kind of pluggable subprogram with application windows, so you can use it on top of the editor or direct mode. Just being a standalone mock OS would still be cool, but might be a waste of potential. You seem to have done something very impressive and ambitious here, and if you can redirect some effort into something more utilitarian or that integrates with SB4's environment system more directly, it might be even better.

I've never used this, but I just have to say this: The tooling ecosystem in SB4 is very different from SB3. With subprograms and UIRUN you might want to reconsider your vision for this. It would be really interesting to see some kind of pluggable subprogram with application windows, so you can use it on top of the editor or direct mode. Just being a standalone mock OS would still be cool, but might be a waste of potential. You seem to have done something very impressive and ambitious here, and if you can redirect some effort into something more utilitarian or that integrates with SB4's environment system more directly, it might be even better.
Thanks for making me sound better than I think I am ;_· I think I could do it but, again, this takes time and I can start being one of y'all in 2 months. Well, in the meantime I'll just sit in a corner and get my programming skills better, so I can do the subprogram in a month or so.

I made an unsure concept art of how SKKBAUI may be in SB4
Concept(This concept image is a manipulated screenshot and the design may not even be possible, so don't judge me becuase I have no Switch yet to program this myself.) Hmm... The editor would look good. If it doesn't work like that, PM me and then I have to reimagine how the direct mode may look like. (I'll turn SKKBAUI into the XFCE4 shell, if something like that is possible)

[poll=p720][/poll] Since I have to wait for my Switch Lite to arrive and me being a bit done with SB3, maybe I should ask some stuff before doing a "Moving on" to the Switch with SB4. So, for those who'd like to know: サカキバラUI for Switch will be released in ~3 months
Reason My Switch Lite arrives in ~2 months and I have to get used to the changes that SB4 brings + the conveniences like the support for USB keyboards and mice. I'll be able to program like I did never before.
Some ideasI think I'll recode the desktop to allow the windows to draw on the graphic pages and use sprites to draw them. A little bit like OTYA. The error screen would be Switch-like. I would add custom functions like the GWRITE to サカキバラUI on request and permission. I'd refine all design to make it more XFCE4-like (A type of Linux UI) since Windows brøke on me.
I would make the 3ds version "working" and then move on to the switch.

[poll=p720][/poll] Since I have to wait for my Switch Lite to arrive and me being a bit done with SB3, maybe I should ask some stuff before doing a "Moving on" to the Switch with SB4. So, for those who'd like to know: サカキバラUI for Switch will be released in ~3 months
Reason My Switch Lite arrives in ~2 months and I have to get used to the changes that SB4 brings + the conveniences like the support for USB keyboards and mice. I'll be able to program like I did never before.
Some ideasI think I'll recode the desktop to allow the windows to draw on the graphic pages and use sprites to draw them. A little bit like OTYA. The error screen would be Switch-like. I would add custom functions like the GWRITE to サカキバラUI on request and permission. I'd refine all design to make it more XFCE4-like (A type of Linux UI) since Windows brøke on me.
Now I'm sad. Reason: I don't have SB4, and even if I did, I don't really use a Switch that often.

Now I'm sad. Reason: I don't have SB4, and even if I did, I don't really use a Switch that often.
SB4 released overseas, so it's a lot easier to get it now.

I thought about it and due to me being already tired of SB3 due to the limitations and the low resolution, that I would "discontinue" it. Not in the natural sense though, I'll still release updates when I think I want to write on the 3DS again but it will be like 6 months or so per update. Right now I don't have the Switch and I want to bring SKKBAUI to V1.0 before calling it done for a long time. Sorry for the inconvenience due to SB4's launch and my Switch arriving soon but as I said, I'm tired of SB3 and want to move SmileBASIC 3 aside. EDIT: oops

SB4 released overseas, so it's a lot easier to get it now.
Here's hoping that free demo gets released to the US too. Then the audience you could reach would explode

I've just released a public test build of サカキバラUI for o3DSs. It does have bugs but I just want to listen from you how well it works and feels. Project key: QDQ4B3F3 I think I'll use this as the build for both o3DS and n3DS.
changesYou are restricted to 10 windows at a time. It's unlikely to have more than 5 windows open, so that's a good sacrifice. The keyboard is a bit unfinished but is working well rn. Due to the compressed FONTDEFs, the fade in to the desktop is bad. The text editor and the MML player are currently unusable. ミドリOS packages (at least some tests) work fine but some more will be incompatible.
As I said, the Switch version will come in 3 months. (The 3DS version will be out of active development in 2 months.)

[poll=p720][/poll] Well then, I guess I´ll keep it but it will still go out of active development, which means that there'll be mostly no new updates available for the 3DS version. Speaking of versions, I'm implementing Switch stuff in the 3DS version, like the hibernate feature so I can get a quicker start in SB4. (It´s actually a DAT file but I've extracted the characters, so it's better to see here.) The session file will take between 32KB and potentially 1MB depending on opened applications and FREEMEM amount. Currently it will keep data of normal variables and global 1-dimensional arrays, including their string variants. 2-, 3- and 4-dimensional arrays are really complicated but they may be storable soon. EDIT: Should I make it a bunch of DATAs instead (for the 3DS/Switch version)?

I decided to:
  • Keep the raw byte format but exclude ミドリOS globals for now.
  • Add banners to the applications in the サカキバラUI menu, so the top screen isn't empty the whole time.
Here's an example of the setup. It animates a bit rather than beimg a still image. Also, another poll (I know it gets old but the Switch version will bring more polls) Due to the massive amount of files I have: Should I limit the setup to be more Windows-like? [poll=p725][/poll]

Edit reason: My images bugged out, lol Alright, I have updated the setup to be more Windows-like, by giving you a mouse with a window that you can interact with. It's literally a minimalistic desktop but it just can open 1 specific window and not have desktop icons instead. I've also made a quick and easy-to-use NitroBoot manager. Basically, it allows you to swap the boot animation with another pre-made one (currently 3). I still have to make a system that lets you add your own custom animations though.
Well...While I'm at it, I think I have to finish the manual up to the "Nitroboot animation" page, again, quick and cheaply made.
Screenshots for the NitroBoot manager
The above things took me 2 hours total to make.
Hmm...So, that might make it easy to port and adapt サカキバラUI to the Switch faster.
Some more stuff to make - Make a tool allowing to change the setup's look, as mentioned before - Needing the サカキバラUI menu to use language packs - Adding more banners so the minimum install is complete for now And after I've done that, I will bring out v0.3.7 which might take between 1 to 6 days. (TBH I've gotta rush cuz I'm wanting to release this and one more update before the deadline of July.)

Wow looks pretty slick. Did you design the icons on a computer and scream or hack them over to SB?

Wow looks pretty slick. Did you design the icons on a computer and scream or hack them over to SB?
I designed them on my phone, and hacked them into SB using 3DShell and FBI. I made heavy use of this setup as I made tons of graphics that were imported. This trend will go on with SmileBASIC 4 since it does support SB3's files.

I designed them on my phone, and hacked them into SB using 3DShell and FBI. I made heavy use of this setup as I made tons of graphics that were imported. This trend will go on with SmileBASIC 4 since it does support SB3's files.
Huh I actually hadn't really considered that. I had built this little SB program that made cruddy little GUI elements with splines and boxes and whatnot. What app do you use? Any recommendations?

Huh I actually hadn't really considered that. I had built this little SB program that made cruddy little GUI elements with splines and boxes and whatnot. What app do you use? Any recommendations?
PixelLabI use PixelLab with some assets, made out of simple shapes and fonts I have I first make the sprites high-res and then shrink them down to the size I need. It's, um, pretty neat, has chroma keying, allows gradients as text-colors and such but one downside it has: it is spamming ads after saving or importing images. I'd only recommend it if you either stay offline or get a working ad-blocker.
Total Commander with FTP pluginIt allows straight-forward file access, like on a PC, heck, the name and the idea behind the app is exactly that. With the FTP plugin I can (yet kinda slow) communicate with the 3DS using 3DShell to send files to the SD card and get files from it as well. It worked very reliably on me. But of course, you can just plug the SD card and the phone into your computer and transfer that way. I'm just too lazy to plug it in lol.

[poll=p727][/poll] Please be honest when voting. This poll will also apply to the Switch edition I'll make soon. Special things exclusive to the versions are obviously marked. The 3DS's FS is already made and points to project files. I'll make apps taking advantage of it any time soon due to the deadline.
What I imagine the Switch FS to be before your impact I'd have it store data in the FS to prevent leftover files in your project. I think it's handy to have files for ideas or other stuff in the FS, shared between other projects I think. I'd use that very often.

Well, I made a weird decision and that lead to me releasing サカキバラUI already unpacked. I've used 12Me21's compression tool to shrink the GRP file sizes, extremely! FYI サカキバラUI takes ~20 MB of space if you unpacked everything. Now I managed to shrink it down to 3.5 MB with all files intact, just the GRPs compressed. I guess I won't need the setup for now. I just need to compress the files before I release the next build. Sure, this is time-expensive and causes my PC to blackscreen a lot but in the end, it's better since I don't have to worry about Out of memory issues the whole time.
Cool news, what about the update?Well... IDK really. I added the FS with some tools I left in the project, including a DOS-like prompt as seperate program. The explorer has now the ability to read from the FS but not write or spawn other apps to edit the files. A dev tool named _CYFS-GENERATE will create the FS with pregiven paths and file pointers as DATAs. Included is a modified Midori OS packet, the 2nd demo, which corrupts opened apps. Now it also corrupts the FS as a test. I also included the SBS database test program where, depending the project's existance, you can launch other's programs, like Virtual Bufallo, R-OS V, etc. The settings were updated to include a crued keyboard in the settings section. Unsuprisingly, a discontinuation note was added, which explains the out of active dev-going. Depending on the 3DS's date, a different message may show up.

You can launch other's programs
And from that moment, squat's legacy was finally heard of. EDIT: Also, bug report. I've tested the nitroboot animation program and, it was like CY said, easy-to-use, simple, and things like that but, when I've set up the Windows 2000 animation and started SKKBAUI, this happened:

I've tested the nitroboot animation program and, it was like CY said, easy-to-use, simple, and things like that but, when I've set up the Windows 2000 animation and started SKKBAUI, this happened:
This appears to not be related to the NitroBoot animation. Instead, it's the lack of updating the desktop icons when you have the DESKTOP.INI file. The way they show up is their original state, thus the numbers on them. I fixed it by simply adding the update routine. But how did I miss it? → Nobody will ever know, not even myself. EDIT: I'll upload a new revision to 0.3.7