LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

Taking Screenshots [OLD]

Root / Submissions / [.]

12Me21Created:
I've seen many program pages on SmileBASIC Source that use images of the screen taken with a camera. You can get much better images if you use Miiverse to take screenshots! (They're still JPEGs, sadly)
  • Get the image you want displayed on the screen.
  • Press the home menu button and open Miiverse.
  • Select the screen you want, and choose "Save to Screenshot Album".
  • Log in to Miiverse on your computer, and go to the bottom of your user page.
  • Click the screenshot you want, then right-click and choose "Copy Image Location".
  • Set the image on your program page to that URL.
(Note: I'm pretty sure this doesn't work if you're banned from miiverse, so you'll have to ask someone else to do it for you.)

you can convert if from a jpeg to a jpg or png. just rename it on your computer or a file browser on your phone

Replying to:A2D_apps
you can convert if from a jpeg to a jpg or png. just rename it on your computer or a file browser on your phone
How are you supposed to regain lost quality?

i dunno . i just said that you can change the filetype. not the quality of it. :P

What is wrong with a jpeg?

Replying to:HumbleWario
idk

JPEGs are compressed in a way that adds "artifacts", or little glitches in the images. Every time you edit and save a JPEG, it's damaged more because of it.

I'm glad to see good instructions on this. Those pictures taken with a camera disgusted me.

^

Recolor every pixel in MS paint.

For some odd reason, the screenshot tool included in the homebrew kit doesn't work with SmileBASIC. Tested it on both N3DS and O3DS.

I was banned forever on Miiverse and I have no homebrew at the moment. What should I do?

I'm pretty sure renaming it does not convert the file... Rather, a good image editor determines the true image format from the file itself, and only takes the extention as a suggestion. In othet words, use MS paint to properly convert your JPEGs to PNGs. It's the easiest legitimate way.

Replying to:RaichuBender
For some odd reason, the screenshot tool included in the homebrew kit doesn't work with SmileBASIC. Tested it on both N3DS and O3DS.
Works well w/ NTR CFW, HANS can't boot SB for some reason :/

Replying to:h267
I was banned forever on Miiverse and I have no homebrew at the moment. What should I do?
regret your life choices

Replying to:h267
Nevermind, I found an o3DS with 10.2 and was able to install hax on it. I can just use basehaxx for screenshots now.

Renaming works for .jpeg to .jpg, since those are just two different extensions for the same format. But it can't convert either to PNG. If you "convert" it to PNG by renaming and it looks right when it opens up, it's because whatever program you're viewing it with is smart enough to detect the correct format to read it as even though the extension says something different. Oh, and even if you convert a JPEG to a PNG the proper way, it won't remove the compression artifacts. If there was a way for a computer to detect what it originally looked like, don't you think it would just show it that way even if you loaded it as a JPEG?

That's what I do. Sadly the quality isn't that good.

Well Miiverse is shutting down tomorrow. :(