LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

More than 15 console colors?

Root / FAQs / [.]

Gaelstrom_ValenceCreated:
I was hoping to make a clone of an Ascii game, but it's not gonna be as cool with just 15 colors to work with. Am I missing something?

You can draw to the GRP with any color using GPUTCHR. Otherwise you're locked to only 15 colors on the console at one time.

You aren't missing anything -- only 15 colors available in console. Like SlackerSnail said, use the graphic page command GPUTCHR.
GPUTCHR 150,100,"HELLO",3,5,RGB(248,144,0) 
This will put HELLO at coordinate (150,100) -- since your top screen is 320x240 that's around the center, 3 times the width and 5 times the height, and in beautiful orange. SB has a bad habit of rounding the RGB to the nearest multiples of 8, so it's a good habit to use 248 instead of 255 for example, in case you want to learn about GSPOIT later.

SB has a bad habit of rounding the RGB to the nearest multiples of 8, so it's a good habit to use 248 instead of 255 for example, in case you want to learn about GSPOIT later.
This is because GRPs are 15-bit color internally. It's assumed SmileBoom made RGB() take 32-bit codes for simplicity.

I'm guessing this feature won't work the console's scroll command though, huh?

I'm guessing this feature won't work the console's scroll command though, huh?
Correct. GPUTCHR is a graphic screen command, and since it's a completely different layer than console, all console commands will have no effect. http://smilebasic.com/en/e-manual/32.php Manipulating the graphic screen requires you to learn new commands like GPAGE, GCOPY, GPSET etc. To create the scrolling effect I imagine the FOR loop is required. It'll be far more complicated than SCROLL, but making things like the Star Wars opening crawl is possible. https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHk08-GENg

You can use GCOPY to scroll the screen. EDIT2: GCOPY 0,0,399,239,8,0,0 = SCROLL 1,0 I think EDIT: I think you could use FONTDEF to make orange (and other colored) text, but it would take millions of lines of code. EDIT2: you can use GCOPY on page -1 to edit fonts!

Well, that does look like it would work. I'll give it a shot. The only thing I'm worried about is it being slow to run.

SB is way faster than MKII so I believe it won't bother you, especially if it's just text scrolling.