LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

Gameboy Emulator

Root / Talk About Programs / [.]

SaladFingersCreated:
Can you help me on a Sega CD emulator? I wanna play Sonic CD on my 3DS (W/O Homebrew BTW)
That's impossible.
click here
Ya know, I really hate people who say something's impossible. I mean sure some may think it's impossible, but that doesn't mean that it won't run at all. So it may be plausible, not impossible.
Capacity of a CD = 700 MB RAM in SmileBASIC = 8 MB Two processors, one clocked at 7.6 MHz Impossible.

Can you help me on a Sega CD emulator? I wanna play Sonic CD on my 3DS (W/O Homebrew BTW)
That's impossible.
click here
Ya know, I really hate people who say something's impossible. I mean sure some may think it's impossible, but that doesn't mean that it won't run at all. So it may be plausible, not impossible.
Capacity of a CD = 700 MB RAM in SmileBASIC = 8 MB Two processors, one clocked at 7.6 MHz Impossible.
More like quitter talk to me, kappa. Does SB really have 8 megs of ram? Wow, so if SB can't run an emulator, then poor o3ds. It's just a joke, I understand that the 3ds can't handle anything nowadays.

That's impossible.
click here
No. The sega CD has less than 8MB of RAM. The problem is just everything else.

Yeah 64 kb of ram. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_CD If the genesis can be emulated I think that can too

That's impossible.
click here
More like quitter talk to me, lol. Does SB really have 8 megs of ram? Wow, so if SB can't run an emulator, then poor o3ds.
You have to understand that there's a difference between a quitter and a person who sees a 3-year-long project that will eventually (hopefully) reach 3 frames per month. If someone is taking this long on a Game Boy emulator, then how long is a Genesis emulator going to take? Don't forget that the Genesis emulator's would be developed by a team of people who really don't have that much experience programming. Your time would be much better spent if you started a smaller project, like an RPG or a platformer. Edit: fixed some wording

You have to understand that there's a difference between a quitter and a person who sees a 3-year-long project that will eventually (hopefully) reach 3 frames per month.
My thoughts exactly. Even if you could somehow emulate a CD reader by loading chunks of a CD in and out and even if you could accurately emulate two processors running in parallel, the result would be completely unusable. The 3DS is much, much more powerful than the Nintendo 64 and even Nintendo, who made both the N64 and 3DS, cannot get the 3DS to emulate the N64. Consider the overhead required to emulate something. Now consider the overhead of running that emulator in an interpreted language on underpowered hardware from 2014 or 2011. RGames seemed to want an emulator that would allow him to play a game. That wouldn't be possible on the Gameboy emulator either, as from what I've seen, its more of a proof of concept than a playable emulator. A playable emulation of the Sega CD is 100% without-a-doubt, completely, utterly IMPOSSIBLE. As V360 said, your time is better spent on a programming project that fits the limitations of SmileBASIC.

You have to understand that there's a difference between a quitter and a person who sees a 3-year-long project that will eventually (hopefully) reach 3 frames per month.
My thoughts exactly. Even if you could somehow emulate a CD reader by loading chunks of a CD in and out and even if you could accurately emulate two processors running in parallel, the result would be completely unusable. The 3DS is much, much more powerful than the Nintendo 64 and even Nintendo, who made both the N64 and 3DS, cannot get the 3DS to emulate the N64. Consider the overhead required to emulate something. Now consider the overhead of running that emulator in an interpreted language on underpowered hardware from 2014 or 2011. RGames seemed to want an emulator that would allow him to play a game. That wouldn't be possible on the Gameboy emulator either, as from what I've seen, its more of a proof of concept than a playable emulator. A playable emulation of the Sega CD is 100% without-a-doubt, completely, utterly IMPOSSIBLE.
Do you think the Apple 2 can be?

I think that an Apple 2 is a bit more realistic to emulate. It will be at a fraction of one percent of the original speed, but the resolution and RAM both fit the limitations of SmileBASIC and so it's theoretically doable. Making the 6502 emulation into a library and sharing it independently of the code would allow many more computers to be emulated by the smileBASIC community, such as the commodore 64 and NES.

I think that an Apple 2 is a bit more realistic to emulate. It will be at a fraction of one percent of the original speed, but the resolution and RAM both fit the limitations of SmileBASIC and so it's theoretically doable. Making the 6502 emulation into a library and sharing it independently of the code would allow many more computers to be emulated by the smileBASIC community, such as the commodore 64 and NES.
Implementing the opcodes is super easy; the underlying hardware is incredibly specific and difficult. Computers, especially, have a ton of hardware.

Implementing the opcodes is super easy; the underlying hardware is incredibly specific and difficult. Computers, especially, have a ton of hardware.
I'm aware. There's a great talk on youtube by Matt Godbolt about a BBC Micro emulator that he coded in Javascript and how difficult it was to achieve perfect emulation. In order to get any decent level of compatibility with existing software, you must emulate every single little detail perfectly. This is why emulators like Dolphin take years to develop.

I don't think we can emulate anything that's more advanced than GameBoy in SmileBASIC 3DS. Now, maybe an Atari 2600 emulator... Hmm. :)

Now, maybe an Atari 2600 emulator...
That actually might be possible. After all, Sethbling was able to make one in Minecraft, of all things.

An Atari 2600 emulator in SmileBASIC would be amazing.

Now, maybe an Atari 2600 emulator...
That actually might be possible. After all, Sethbling was able to make one in Minecraft, of all things.
Yeah, but he is a redstone wizard so I expect him to make an NES emulator in Minecraft one day (obvious joke, but he still might one day)

Don't joke about Cancer, People Die from it, and there is no cure... Unless one of your body parts get cut off...

Don't joke about Cancer, People Die from it, and there is no cure... Unless one of your body parts get cut off...
Do you really find that offensive? Or is it because “joke” and “cancer” were in the same sentence? Anyway, back on topic, I don’t know much about the atari 2600, except that it uses the 6502, but I don’t think I’ll be creating another emulator any time soon.

I’ve changed the joke to one about an NES emulator instead

Nice!

Nice!
You’re alive! :O

Nice!
You’re alive! :O
That's right. Back from the depths of hell. EDIT: I find it super cool someone else is making a GB emulator now. I can't erase the embarrassment of SmileBOY that I left here (or rather, didn't leave here). Oh well... For everyone that's wondering what happened to SmileBOY, I never really canceled it, I just left it to collect dust on my 3DS until I was in the mood to work on it again.