LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

Common variables

Root / General / [.]

12Me21Created:
Normally you can only send and recieve data from functions by the input/outputs, or some hack-y way using PRINT, graphics, or sprites. However, there are 2 system variables that can be used: SYSBEEP:stores 1 bit, very annoying if 0 TABSTEP:stores just over 4 bits (0 to 16), has no effect on anything except PRINTing comma-separated lists (since the tab button was removed) I wonder if this could be useful...

Every variable in a function that is not declared as local (i.e. declared within the DEF block with either VAR or DIM) is global. Using regular global variables is preferable to misusing system global variables. EDIT: Also, you got it backwards: SYSBEEP, very annoying if 1.

Every variable in a function that is not declared as local (i.e. declared within the DEF block with either VAR or DIM) is global. Using regular global variables is preferable to misusing system global variables. EDIT: Also, you got it backwards: SYSBEEP, very annoying if 1.
Why? Do you like typing with no sound? The only thing sysbeep controls is button noises, without them there is no feedback from typing. Anyway, it would have been nice if it explained local and global variables in the help menu.

Why? Do you like typing with no sound?
Absolutely. The typing noises are not as bad as the 'squidgy' ones of PTC, but I still prefer silence.
The only thing sysbeep controls is button noises, without them there is no feedback from typing.
You say those things as if they were true. SYSBEEP also controls the load/save noises, and there is visual feedback from typing.

I have to agree with SquareFingers here. I can do with or without the typing noise, but the load/save (mutable with FALSE) and the DIALOG (OK) noises (not mutable unless with SYSBEEP!) ruined my game after I read the SYSBEEP discussion post thinking I should turn it back on, but for some reason SB ignored my SYSBEEP=0 and only executed SYSBEEP=1. I will from now on set SYSBEEP=0 and keep it that way. If people want SYSBEEP back, I suggest exiting to the main menu to reset everything.

the DIALOG (OK) noises (not mutable unless with SYSBEEP!) ruined my game
I don't see how that is possible. I guess I'll have to do KEY 2,"SYSBEEP=1" or something I'm not going to reset all settings after I run your program. I could be annoying and put SYSBEEP = 1 in all my programs, but Instead I'll just never change SYSBEEP, because whatever you do to sysbeep will annoy someone.

I'm not going to reset all settings after I run your program.
You literally just have to enter SYSBEEP=1 on Direct. It's a non-issue.