LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

Realm Development Thread

Root / Talk About Programs / [.]

the_squat1115Created:
Ok Take your time, I will be coding the rest ;)

I know this was quick, and my idea isn't revolutionary, but I came up with a temporary thing to work towards before finding an actually revolutionary system. Unless you actually think it good enough to build a game around, it is temporary. So right know I have this idea for the battle system (for some reason, I feel like I'm just one step away from something truly great), basically, once the battle starts, instead of moving to a battle screen, it makes your character stuck in that screens confined space. So you can't just run away (without choosing it as an option). It keeps that screen as a battle screen. It is still turn based, where each character does one move unless under special conditions, and moves to the next person. The idea that differs from other games is that the whole time you (and your enemy) are allowed to move around freely in the screen. You use the circle pad to move and the d pad to select. In this state you can attempt to dodge attacks and get in better positions for dealing more damage to your foe. And the same goes for them as well. It allows difference in strategies and makes people want to try new places and angles of attack for a better out come. I don't know how plausible it is to actually include, as it sounds like a coding nightmare. But I dunno, it's an idea. And a generally good one. I could also see developing A.I. For the enemy as in what attacks they do and their behavior on the map as another coding nightmare, but you can still try. If this ain't good enough, that's fine with, as this is still in the brainstorming stage and my first idea, so it can easily change. I have also been thinking about story as well and that isn't nearly done with the first concepts.

I know this was quick, and my idea isn't revolutionary, but I came up with a temporary thing to work towards before finding an actually revolutionary system. Unless you actually think it good enough to build a game around, it is temporary. So right know I have this idea for the battle system (for some reason, I feel like I'm just one step away from something truly great), basically, once the battle starts, instead of moving to a battle screen, it makes your character stuck in that screens confined space. So you can't just run away (without choosing it as an option). It keeps that screen as a battle screen. It is still turn based, where each character does one move unless under special conditions, and moves to the next person. The idea that differs from other games is that the whole time you (and your enemy) are aloud to move around freely in the screen. You use the circle pad to move and the d pad to select. In this state you can attempt to dodge attacks and get in better positions for dealing more damage to your foe. And the same goes for them as well. It allows difference in strategies and makes people want to try new places and angles of attack for a better out come. I don't know how plausible it is to actually include, as it sounds like a coding nightmare. But I dunno, it's an idea. And a generally good one. I could also see developing A.I. For the enemy as in what attacks they do and their behavior on the mal as another coding nightmare, but you can still try. If this ain't good enough, that's fine with, as this is still in the brainstorming stage and my first idea, so it can easily change. I have also been thinking about story as well and that isn't nearly done with the first concepts.
About the battle system... It is taken from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? Well, that might be a placeholder while we make a revolutionary battle system, but it sounds great as it doesn't annoys you like the battle screen does.

I know this was quick, and my idea isn't revolutionary, but I came up with a temporary thing to work towards before finding an actually revolutionary system. Unless you actually think it good enough to build a game around, it is temporary. So right know I have this idea for the battle system (for some reason, I feel like I'm just one step away from something truly great), basically, once the battle starts, instead of moving to a battle screen, it makes your character stuck in that screens confined space. So you can't just run away (without choosing it as an option). It keeps that screen as a battle screen. It is still turn based, where each character does one move unless under special conditions, and moves to the next person. The idea that differs from other games is that the whole time you (and your enemy) are aloud to move around freely in the screen. You use the circle pad to move and the d pad to select. In this state you can attempt to dodge attacks and get in better positions for dealing more damage to your foe. And the same goes for them as well. It allows difference in strategies and makes people want to try new places and angles of attack for a better out come. I don't know how plausible it is to actually include, as it sounds like a coding nightmare. But I dunno, it's an idea. And a generally good one. I could also see developing A.I. For the enemy as in what attacks they do and their behavior on the mal as another coding nightmare, but you can still try. If this ain't good enough, that's fine with, as this is still in the brainstorming stage and my first idea, so it can easily change. I have also been thinking about story as well and that isn't nearly done with the first concepts.
About the battle system... It is taken from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon?
I think I've heard of that before... But never heard of it's gameplay. I was not aware of this. Sorry. Edit:wait is that the same battle system as that game? Because I thought that was original... Dang it! Why have developers taken all the good and mildly okay battle systems!!! Imagine if this happens again

Don't worry, it's ok to keep that. Thats how some revolutionary things started.

Alright so I had a sort of mini idea to add on to it, and I'm not gonna lie, this probably is an idea accidentally stolen. So anyways, each attack you use there is a cool down for how long you can't use it again. And depending on the attack it lasts longer or shorter. You also have a total amount of energy points that you can use in battle. The incentive is for you to try to have as many energy points as you can find to be the most prepared you can be for a fight and deal the most damage. Each time you start a new battle your energy points return to full capacity (or else it would be impossible). This is so players don't leave out certain attacks and have a higher chance of using them, along with avoidance of spamming, and a bit more substance to the battle system. Of course, it is still just an idea. I just didn't want to forget it after I sleep

Ok, then. Still on brainstorming stage, so take your time.

Sorry when I get ideas I don't want to forget them

Here's an idea you might try: You could have the environment made of different things (stone, water, vegetation) and have platforms spread out made of some other thing. Then you could have attacks that take advantage of the environment, or that aren't very useful in that environment. For instance, if you use an electric atack in a lake, it could affect every part of the environment that is water. Then the player would have to go to one of the stone platforms to stay safe. Or if you tried to use a flying attack in a cave, it could cut the damage dealt in half because there isn't much space to fly around in. Think of something similar to Pokemon type advantages but against the environment.

Here's an idea you might try: You could have the environment made of different things (stone, water, vegetation) and have platforms spread out made of some other thing. Then you could have attacks that take advantage of the environment, or that aren't very useful in that environment. For instance, if you use an electric atack in a lake, it could affect every part of the environment that is water. Then the player would have to go to one of the stone platforms to stay safe. Or if you tried to use a flying attack in a cave, it could cut the damage dealt in half because there isn't much space to fly around in. Think of something similar to Pokemon type advantages but against the environment.
Oh cool

That sounds cool for strategy! I will try to implement the mechanic soon.

That sounds cool for strategy! I will try to implement the mechanic soon.
See this is why I question myself in whether or not I should even have the position I am in.

Well... I guess rando and you could be creative directors, to avoid from you two fighting each other.

I wouldn't fight Rando. In fact I find all of Rando's ideas good (at least when Rando suggests them to me).

I wouldn't fight Rando. In fact I find all of Rando's ideas good (at least when Rando suggests them to me).
So, you want to be in another place?

I mean, I don't know. I am not only not self confident but also indecisive. But I guess I like making sprites.

I mean, I don't know. I am not only not self confident but also indecisive. But I guess I like making sprites.
Well, then. I'll edit the page immediately.

A little update for you guys! Added some sprites to the SP.GRP (used to make sprites there) file and improved the map! Here is a showcase on a GIF: And a GIF for the sprites: Hope we can get even far!

A little update for you guys! Added some sprites to the SP.GRP (used to make sprites there) file and improved the map! Here is a showcase on a GIF: And a GIF for the sprites: Hope we can get even far!
A. Is there anything else you need from me currently B. How were you able to compile the title into the other grp? C. I know you just started coding the character's movements, but I would suggest using the different sprites for animation, as it is kinda awkward to watch him just stand there while moving at the same time But at the same time if you just started that's a good start

A. Is there anything else you need from me currently B. How were you able to compile the title into the other grp? C. I know you just started coding the character's movements, but I would suggest using the different sprites for animation, as it is kinda awkward to watch him just stand there while moving at the same time But at the same time if you just started that's a good start
I used GPAGE and GCOPY. Also, I haven't implemented the other sprite animations cuz idk, but I've implemented their DEFs.