LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

Nintendo Switch Discussion

Root / General / [.]

PerskaCreated:
Nintendo Switch Discussion thread or something NINTENDO NX'S TRUE NAME IS NINTENDO SWITCH, TRAILER HERE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI I'm really excited for this! Playing games on the go, BotW, Splatoon 2, a new 3D Mario game, and a lot of other stuff! Also apparently Skyrim. What about you!?!?!?!?! Stuff we know:
  • The name is Nintendo Switch
  • It's a home console-handheld hybrid
  • Uses cartridges. They're somewhat bigger than DS/3DS cartridges, but that could just be the angle.
  • The console itself is a tablet of some sort which can be placed on a dock to connect to a TV.
  • A controller split in half called the Joy-Con connect to a handle, or the console itself. The both halves of the Joy-Con have a total of 12 buttons (ABXY, 4 directional buttons (no D-Pad to be found), plus and minus, home and a mysterious button whose use is unknown) The controllers can be shared by two people to play Mario Kart for example.
  • Apparently powered by NVIDIA Tegra. (GCN, Wii and Wii U used PowerPC) - > https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/ - > Maybe the specs (don't take these seriously): http://pastebin.com/UD1Vx9rf
  • Tons of partners
  • [Admins feel free to update this list & post. I'm lazy.]

Looks like a home console, tablet, and handheld all in one. Specs soon kudasai
the Nintendo Switch system also enables gamers to play the same title wherever, whenever and with whomever they choose. The mobility of a handheld is now added to the power of a home gaming system to enable unprecedented new video game play styles. At home, Nintendo Switch rests in the Nintendo Switch Dock that connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends in the comfort of your living room. By simply lifting Nintendo Switch from the dock, the system will instantly transition to portable mode, and the same great gaming experience that was being enjoyed at home now travels with you. The portability of Nintendo Switch is enhanced by its bright high-definition display. It brings the full home gaming system experience with you to the park, on an airplane, in a car, or to a friendโ€™s apartment. Gaming springs into action by removing detachable Joy-Con controllers from either side of Nintendo Switch. One player can use a Joy-Con controller in each hand; two players can each take one; or multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options. They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition.

Oh, it's April already? EDIT: So it's like the Wii U but you can use the controller separately. yay. EDIT 1: I hope Nintendo doesn't try to replace the 3DS with this. It looks like a good home console, but not as good as the 3DS (as a handheld)

I'm very excited for it. It looks like at the very least it will have a good library. The games that they've shown so far look really sweet as far as graphics go. The name also isn't a bad choice, since it will make for a good slogan for a commercial or trailer: "Make the Switch" or "Switch to..." Overall I think that it's really a lot of good choices by Nintendo.

(I can already feel the bad puns) If this isn't as good as the 3DS (at being a handheld) then I won't get it Making a combination home console/handheld combination is probably a bad idea (or at least, it will be annoying for some people) I'd never get to use the home console part of it, so that's like half the money/potential wasted. (probably more like 2/3 actually)

Couple of thoughts:
  • Since they've switched architectures from PowerPC to Nvidia, backwards compatibility will basically be gone. We'll be lucky to get a few games ported, but most likely they'll just "rerelease" games from the Wii U.
  • Furthermore, ALL of their virtual console games are tailored for PowerPC. If Nintendo follows their old patterns, it'll take a LOOONG time for their virtual console catalog to get off the ground. Unless they're really pushing for it this time.
  • Nvidia is known for their awesome graphics bridging capabilities. This means that, like we saw in the trailer, the system will most likely be more powerful while in the dock due to a bridged GPU connection with hardware in the dock. This tech already exists, so it's cool that we're seeing it in a home console.
  • Those controllers look like they're going to break in an instant. Let's hope they don't suck or that the final designs work well.
  • OH right, LOTS of games are made to work with Nvidia Tegra (since it's in many "gaming" tablets). This means we'll probably get a slew of ports (like we saw in the trailer).

Couple of thoughts:
  • Since they've switched architectures from PowerPC to Nvidia, backwards compatibility will basically be gone. We'll be lucky to get a few games ported, but most likely they'll just "rerelease" games from the Wii U.
  • Furthermore, ALL of their virtual console games are tailored for PowerPC. If Nintendo follows their old patterns, it'll take a LOOONG time for their virtual console catalog to get off the ground. Unless they're really pushing for it this time.
  • Nvidia is known for their awesome graphics bridging capabilities. This means that, like we saw in the trailer, the system will most likely be more powerful while in the dock due to a bridged GPU connection with hardware in the dock. This tech already exists, so it's cool that we're seeing it in a home console.
  • Those controllers look like they're going to break in an instant. Let's hope they don't suck or that the final designs work well.
  • OH right, LOTS of games are made to work with Nvidia Tegra (since it's in many "gaming" tablets). This means we'll probably get a slew of ports (like we saw in the trailer).
They can't like, emulate the older systems or something?

The controller parts detach from the tablety part to another base for a standard controller and I think that's A Cool Thing. Edit: and then there's this nonsense

Switch: This isn't even my final form! Seriously, as a total geek for portable computing and human interfaces, I'm so ready. Give it to me Nintendo. give it to me yes

How big is it? (also why has nobody commented on the lack of a d-pad? I'm sure it won't be a huge problem now that everything uses the analog sticks anyway, but it's one of those things that I expected people to make a big deal over)

How big is it? (also why has nobody commented on the lack of a d-pad? I'm sure it won't be a huge problem now that everything uses the analog sticks anyway, but it's one of those things that I expected people to make a big deal over)
It has two sticks and two sets of face buttons. Honestly it's about time we started to dump the D-Pad. EDIT: Oh, if you squint the other face buttons have arrows on them, like the N64 C-Buttons. And what are those squares? Cameras?

It has two sticks and two sets of face buttons. Honestly it's about time we started to dump the D-Pad. EDIT: Oh, if you squint the other face buttons have arrows on them, like the N64 C-Buttons. And what are those squares? Cameras?
I think those are home/power buttons

Also each Joy-Con (the official name for the half-controllers) each have one shoulder button. Imaging hitting them accidentally trying to play lol.

Also each Joy-Con (the official name for the half-controllers) each have one shoulder button. Imaging hitting them accidentally trying to play lol.
they're probably disabled when using the half controllers separately. (There could be [a] hidden button on the inside edge to use instead) EDIT 7: a controller is a controller, you can't say it's only a half

In my opinion, this will be the absolutely best Nintendo Console/Handheld ever. I cannot wait for this. I will buy this as soon as it comes out!

Couple of thoughts:
They can't like, emulate the older systems or something?
You CAN emulate old systems (that's what they do for the virtual console). But it requires a lot more power to emulate something like the Wii U.

Good: -somewhat portable -single-system multiplayer Bad: -(could replace 3DS (which would be very bad because it has FEWER features)) -capacitance touch screen

My main concern about this is that the controllers look so tiny when separated from the tablet, which I think is bad for multiplayer; I can already feel my hands cramping up just looking at that two player image.

Bad: -(could replace 3DS (which would be very bad because it has FEWER features))
Well, as far as I'm aware, Nintendo doesn't have plans to have the Switch replace the 3DS, though that's based off of a quote that they said forever ago and it included the Wii U, but obviously their behavior with the Wii U recently isn't behavior of somebody who wants it to stay around.