LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

NihonQuest

Root / Submissions / [.]

SamCreated:
Download:2RD4S3RJ
Version:2.0Size:612258
This is a tool for learning the two Japanese alphabets. You can either play quest by quest, or choose your own settings in Practice mode.

Instructions:

Your objective is to be skilled enough to beat the final test. Another important objective would be to score 10/10 on all characters of both alphabets. Your score for a character increases when you get it right, and decreases when you get it wrong. There is a Level indicator that roughly tells how skilled you are. It isn't useful or necessary for unlocking anything in the game, but I hope it will motivate you to keep going. In a test, draw the counterpart of what's on the top screen. Touch the X to erase what you drew. Touch the check mark to submit your answer. You can also use the A and B buttons as shortcuts.

Notes:

Made by Sam Powered by poko.8's KNJLIB I'm open to any questions, requests, suggestions, etc. I currently do not plan to add more content in the future, but I'll definitely fix any reported bugs. Long live SmileBASIC! Note: you may do whatever you want with this program, no credit required whatsoever. Version 1.0:
  • Initial release.
Version 1.1:
  • Implemented new settings
  • Added a new way to submit answers
  • Added a "I don't know" option
Version 1.2:
  • Added a third way to submit answers: drawing. Much faster, but doesn't check automatically if the answer is correct or not.
  • Improved the menu so you don't have to choose settings every time.
Version 1.3:
  • Added the ability to choose which kanas show up in your test
  • Disabled the obsolete ways to submit answers (please tell me if you want them back)
  • Cleaned and repaired some code
Version 2.0:
  • The menu has been completely rebuilt, with lots of color, shapes and animations (and love!).
  • Added quests!
  • Added an XP system so you gain levels as you get more skilled.
  • Added a system so the game knows how well you know a particular character.
  • Etc? I've been working on this for so long that I forgot what even was in the old versions and what wasn't. lol

Replying to:Sam
I think this is the best time to start using NihonQuest. You could just practice and learn 5 kana every day! You're good to go after one month. And then you'll easily beat all the challenges I'll make in the next few days lol
If you can get 100% on your first try, then there isn't much else this program will teach you.

I think this is the best time to start using NihonQuest. You could just practice and learn 5 kana every day! You're good to go after one month. And then you'll easily beat all the challenges I'll make in the next few days lol
Perhaps you could slowly start adding kanjis and whatnot? I mean learning radicals and some simple kanji that are commonly used.

Yep that's the next step

Added a "I don't know" option -> Added an "I don't know" option
SpoilerSam never corrected it!! >:(

I'll try to finish the Hira/Kata part of this game soon, so I can start working on the real game. Any requests?

Replying to:Midnight
>:(

I'll try to finish the Hira/Kata part of this game soon, so I can start working on the real game. Any requests?
One feature I want in the next version is existing.

Replying to:haloopdy
The second image is broken for me.
The image isn't broken on my 3DS browser though.

Replying to:haloopdy
The second image is broken for me.
probably because that was a year ago

>:(
&toastLikely never will these days.

I don't correct it because I don't think it's wrong lol

Sorry, still no kanji. It won't happen. I just don't feel like doing this style of test for kanji would be appropriate. To make people motivated to learn kanji, you need more than this. What I'd ideally want to do is make a game similar to a visual novel where you complete tasks in order for the story to progress. However, as I have very minimal artistic skills, that is not happening any time soon. If you're serious about learning kanji and Japanese vocabulary, my advice would be to play Japanese games, or read manga in Japanese, and translate yourself every word you don't get. Get immersed into the language.

Sorry, still no kanji. It won't happen. I just don't feel like doing this style of test for kanji would be appropriate. To make people motivated to learn kanji, you need more than this. What I'd ideally want to do is make a game similar to a visual novel where you complete tasks in order for the story to progress. However, as I have very minimal artistic skills, that is not happening any time soon. If you're serious about learning kanji and Japanese vocabulary, my advice would be to play Japanese games, or read manga in Japanese, and translate yourself every word you don't get. Get immersed into the language.
:( okay

How about doing one for korean? Nah, the only languages I see on this website are japanese and english...

Replying to:Defaultio
How about doing one for korean? Nah, the only languages I see on this website are japanese and english...
I currently have no interest in making an app for Korean.

Why am I even interested in learning Japanese? Lol. Anyway, nice >:] work on this game! That is all.

Replying to:IAmRalsei
Why am I even interested in learning Japanese? Lol. Anyway, nice >:] work on this game! That is all.
>:]

Replying to:IAmRalsei
nice

Replying to:Defaultio
meh, it was worth a shot. I love the new update though!

You could do it if you hire an artist.