LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

Enter the Ring

Root / Talk About Programs / [.]

codingineptCreated:
so uh i figured out mml so i'm gonna try to make some good music. it's not as hard as my tiny brain thought. also i did it mostly on my own. (edit because of afterthought) of course not WELL but i can make it make sound. but uh i would like to know how i can get a note to go longer than 1 cuz for some reason the higher a number gets the shorter the note gets.
C1 plays a whole note. If you want it to get longer, change the speed with T, like T120 is the default, T60 is half the speed.

C1 plays a whole note. If you want it to get longer, change the speed with T, like T120 is the default, T60 is half the speed.
oh ok.

screenshots to demonstrate the visual changes that are being made. some might call it a stupid downgrade that overcomplicates things. i call it a stupid downgrade that overcomplicates things. just kidding i don't. i call it aesthetic changes and severely limiting controls to just one method of attack. in other words, a NESing.

ok so i can probably handle random events on my own but like uh i'm gonna need help with a health system for both enemies and the player. and on second though if i can't handle it i'll probably need help with random events.

ok so i can probably handle random events on my own but like uh i'm gonna need help with a health system for both enemies and the player. and on second though if i can't handle it i'll probably need help with random events.
With enemy and player health, just create a variable for them at the beginning of your code:
VAR PHEALTH=50'Create variable. This is assuming you want their health to be 50.
VAR ENHEALTH=50
If you want to fight multiple enemies at once, you can use an array:
VAR PHEALTH=50'Create variable
DIM EHEALTH[max number of enemies]'create array
FOR I=0 TO LEN(EHEALTH)-1'Set array values
 EHEALTH[I]=50
NEXT
Then, every time someone gets hit, you decrease the value of that variable by how much damage that hit does. When it reaches or goes below zero, you kill that person/thing:
IF PHEALTH<=0 THEN PDEAD
DEF PDEAD
 'Death code goes here
 'You will want to reset their health or they will keep dying.
END
It might be helpful to have a healthmax variable, so that you can increase the maximum health.
VAR PHEALTHMAX=50
VAR PHEALTH=PHEALTHMAX
WHILE 1'Main loop
 VSYNC
 IF PHEALTH>PHEALTHMAX THEN PHEALTH=PHEALTHMAX
WEND
This demonstrates how you can set the player health as its maximum. In the WHILE loop, it shows how to keep the health from going over. I hope this helps.

With enemy and player health, just create a variable for them at the beginning of your code:
VAR PHEALTH=50'Create variable. This is assuming you want their health to be 50.
VAR ENHEALTH=50
If you want to fight multiple enemies at once, you can use an array:
VAR PHEALTH=50'Create variable
DIM EHEALTH[max number of enemies]'create array
FOR I=0 TO LEN(EHEALTH)-1'Set array values
 EHEALTH[I]=50
NEXT
Then, every time someone gets hit, you decrease the value of that variable by how much damage that hit does. When it reaches or goes below zero, you kill that person/thing:
IF PHEALTH<=0 THEN PDEAD
DEF PDEAD
 'Death code goes here
 'You will want to reset their health or they will keep dying.
END
It might be helpful to have a healthmax variable, so that you can increase the maximum health.
VAR PHEALTHMAX=50
VAR PHEALTH=PHEALTHMAX
WHILE 1'Main loop
 VSYNC
 IF PHEALTH>PHEALTHMAX THEN PHEALTH=PHEALTHMAX
WEND
This demonstrates how you can set the player health as its maximum. In the WHILE loop, it shows how to keep the health from going over. I hope this helps.
ok i will look over this. i don't plan to have multiple enemies at once though so thank you for that but i'm gonna keep it 1on1.

i figure i can probably use spstop to handle the idle animation issue. on a bigger note, if i can get this worked out i think i do wanna make a sequel that's like a adventure rpg that uses this battle system. yes i do.

i now remember why i dropped this months ago. the programming is like being way too BS. i suppose a way to make this easier to complete would be to provide a nice uh...diagramrsomethinlikethat or whatever it's called to demonstrate what i'm going for and so i can include some nice art in it.

i've been doing some thinkering and i've decided that i wanna make a top-down style adventure rpg type deal using the characters and battle system (once it's finished) from this. that of course might need a bit of outsourcing if that's all fine and diddly doo or whatever. but that process will indeed wait until i'm done making the battle system. so i mean if you're interedasted please help me i need game development experience because i want to make a big and boinging series in the future as an independent studio. that's my dream. and learning a language is the best place to start. but until then i need to finish the battle system. side note that does mean i'm TECHNICALLY canning this but i'm ALSO technically not because i'm just adding it to a bigger project.

hey uh is it possible for me to save multiple sprite sheets in one thing so the folder doesn't have like infinity files in it?

hey uh is it possible for me to save multiple sprite sheets in one thing so the folder doesn't have like infinity files in it?
The only way I can think of is have all the sprites on one sheet.

The only way I can think of is have all the sprites on one sheet.
well i suppose i don't intend on having more than two sheets so i think that'll probably be fine.

DEVELOPMENT PROGRESS UPDATE: i am in the process of re-overhauling and re-redesigning the visuals as well as formulating a story and world. i have made 4 music tracks: 3 boss themes and mediocre desert music. the current state of affairs is: i need help on programming a top-down adventure RPG, possibly even outsourcing some of it. the battle system is still incomplete but in due time i suppose. so if there's anything you can do please help me.

DEVELOPMENT PROGRESS UPDATE: i am in the process of re-overhauling and re-redesigning the visuals as well as formulating a story and world. i have made 4 music tracks: 3 boss themes and mediocre desert music. the current state of affairs is: i need help on programming a top-down adventure RPG, possibly even outsourcing some of it. the battle system is still incomplete but in due time i suppose. so if there's anything you can do please help me.
Top down is kinda hard for me to explain. All I can say is, make it so that the player can move up, down, left, and right. Then BGGET is useful for BG to SP collision if you are using BG.

i have some good music in the works but that's it in terms of programming. i don't really know how i wanna do this. kinda tired and school starts like tomorrow or something too. just a little update. i haven't secretly dropped this project entirely or anything. just kinda sapped for ideas. battle system stil needs finished and worked into an actual game. oh also spstop i don't think is gonna help me with idle animations.

man i hate codinginept so much he can't even finish a simple battle system much less a whole game. makin empty promises and stuff like that.

man i hate codinginept so much he can't even finish a simple battle system much less a whole game. makin empty promises and stuff like that.
dude no stop it

dude no stop it
nah i was just jokin but i for real am like not working on this too much. i need to like work on this more than i do.

i'll start posting screenshots with the current sprites soon i think. and maybe show off some of the music.

i swear i'll post screenshots soon. once i take screenshots.