LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

The "SB Download Station Project"

Root / Talk About Programs / [.]

the_squat1115Created:
Last time i checked, you could also use C3D to do it instead
That would be more confortable but the problem: There is barely any documentation I can find for Citro3D. Citro2D is decently documented while Citro3D only has a few unofficial documentations that almost don't have any content that I could use. I have only managed to change the viewport, add anti-aliasing and improve the app by despawning menus that aren't in focus. BTW the garbage background was the main background but trashed due to a memory corruption that my new icon drawing function causes. (I'll remove it now and retry the t3x solution since it worked best so far.)
EDIT 1
About the T3XsIt turns out that my app only crashes when my app assets (button/background graphics) are taking too much space (not file size but image size if combined together). If I manage to get 100 icons in the downloadable t3x then I'd be good to go with the t3x design. To prevent further crashes, I'd just use pure DrawRectSolid commands to draw the assets instead, or simplify them (multi-color → pure rectangle, simpler shapes, etc.)
Adding sorting to the download menuEach project in the list has an ID (for simplicity sake, the index in the prjlist) and to sort, I'd make certain functions that mix around the IDs depending on, e.g. the metadata flags (is it a demo/full release?) or alphabetical (ASCII) order.
More things I'd want to makeI'd also consider adding more features, like a "Random project" button, support for other languuages and also change the style a bit.
How would the style of the app change?I'd change the buttons to more SmileBASIC-like versions, lack animations and, generally, make it feel like a companion app.
well theres https://citro2d.devkitpro.org/modules.html and the menu works i just happened to get cfw and it loads fine

Well, first of all, hi. Its been some days since I dont see updates coming for the project. Hows it going with the alpha version of the downloader?

Well, first of all, hi. Its been some days since I dont see updates coming for the project. Hows it going with the alpha version of the downloader?
Sorry to tell you but I couldn't implement the actual downloader for following resons
  • School is pushing out millions of tests, eating away my free time and my sanity too.
  • Windows has decided to update and therefore have lost a few files (looks like some source code is missing, like tge download routines.) Luckily I made a backup before but have to reimplement things again..
  • (Non-technical) The app still has no clue, where files are. I have to add a file table (the basic "Yet Another Table" concept)
  • While I manged to create folders, I have to yet figure out, how to write files to SmileBASIC's extData. A simple fopen() won't do the job. But a weird FSUSER call instead.

How do you lose files from a Windows update?

It does happen, according to some news articles. Basically, after the update was applied, Windows told me that some files are corrupted and has automatically removed them. Linux has found portions of the files in the FOUND.000 folder which Windows won't access outside of kernel mode. EDIT: I remember that I was messing with Windows by using Unix-exclusive file names like ">.<" and "con.exe" which Windows really disliked. Maybe it was my fault for adding those files/folders.

It does happen, according to some news articles. Basically, after the update was applied, Windows told me that some files are corrupted and has automatically removed them. Linux has found portions of the files in the FOUND.000 folder which Windows won't access outside of kernel mode. EDIT: I remember that I was messing with Windows by using Unix-exclusive file names like ">.<" and "con.exe" which Windows really disliked. Maybe it was my fault for adding those files/folders.
Sounds like a potential hard drive issue (other than the fact that you screwed with filenames). You should check that out when you get the chance, run a chkdsk or something.
Windows Updates can screw things up (take the Documents folder incident with 1809 for instance). Usually feature updates though, standard updates are much more tame. They can still screw things up though. This is why I use Linux lmao

Sounds like a potential hard drive issue (other than the fact that you screwed with filenames). You should check that out when you get the chance, run a chkdsk or something.
Windows Updates can screw things up (take the Documents folder incident with 1809 for instance). Usually feature updates though, standard updates are much more tame. They can still screw things up though. This is why I use Linux lmao
Yeah. I had an old laptop too that had Windows 7, I tried downloading some SNES ROMS and the hard drive fucked itself up with no explanation. Windows is weird sometimes lol

Yeah. I had an old laptop too that had Windows 7, I tried downloading some SNES ROMS and the hard drive fucked itself up with no explanation. Windows is weird sometimes lol
I think you might've downloaded a virus.

Sure? Bc the antivirus i had didnt gave me an alert. Maybe the hard drive fucked up itself because well, that laptop had like 12 years old.

Sure? Bc the antivirus i had didnt gave me an alert. Maybe the hard drive [destroyed] itself because well, that laptop had like 12 years old.
I'm sorry. I misinterpreted what you were saying because I thought it was related to what you were responding to.

Oh, didnt knew you misinterpreted that. (Sorry for swearing too). Back to topic...

How's this project coming along? I definetly like where the project was going.

Sorry to tell you but I couldn't implement the actual downloader for following resons
  • School is pushing out millions of tests, eating away my free time and my sanity too.
  • Windows has decided to update and therefore have lost a few files (looks like some source code is missing, like tge download routines.) Luckily I made a backup before but have to reimplement things again..
  • (Non-technical) The app still has no clue, where files are. I have to add a file table (the basic "Yet Another Table" concept)
  • While I manged to create folders, I have to yet figure out, how to write files to SmileBASIC's extData. A simple fopen() won't do the job. But a weird FSUSER call instead.
Wait so does this mean that the project is dead? If so then that actually sucks. Maybe the next time you have breaks from school you can get on it a bit. I would make backups on an external device every day just to make sure I don't have to backtrack so much in case of corruption.

No, it's still active to some degree. It's just that school is basically spamming me with work to do like ads spam everyone on the internet (considering those that don't have an ad-block of a good kind). ↑ Well, unlike ads, I can't refuse to do the work that I get because if I did, then I would have said goodbye to a chance to be a programmer as an actual job in the future. (Yes, you must go to school and do all the spam without any "but I don't want to" in Germany.) Anyway, to actually do the project downloader, I have the following plan:
DetailsI will add a text file to any project, listing the files for SB3 (excluding the metadata for the download menu, of course) because I kinda refuse to use the GitHub API for this if possible.
Righr now, I'm trying to figure out, how to copy files from the SD root to the extData.
Some ideas- Use a function (I forgot it was called) that "mounts" the extData, so I can fwrite the files there - Use the proprietary FSUSER functions to write (like I did with the creation of folders there)

I finally managed to get the app download the project files and put them into SmileBASIC's extData, so you can use them in SB3 itself. An update has been issued for the app. An issue I found, however:
SpoilerIf you download a project, and you close your 3DS (or use the sleep switch on a 2DS), the screen stays off when opened again and it may be stuck somewhere.
BTW, when downloading the project form the app, it will erase the folder in the extData, but I'll change it soon or use a dialog box to enable it, if wanted.

I finally managed to get the app download the project files and put them into SmileBASIC's extData, so you can use them in SB3 itself. An update has been issued for the app. An issue I found, however:
SpoilerIf you download a project, and you close your 3DS (or use the sleep switch on a 2DS), the screen stays off when opened again and it may be stuck somewhere.
BTW, when downloading the project form the app, it will erase the folder in the extData, but I'll change it soon or use a dialog box to enable it, if wanted.
I like your funny words, magic man!

Well, if I am in a rush, then I am very weird at making a text, typos are included, lol. Now, before I can put it aside (due to school, refer to a tweet of mine or my newer SBS user page) I have to give the "Backup a project" button the function it needs. It only makes a sound, then... nothing. (considering you dumped the DSP's firmware before) The backup routines should be relatively easy, since I had to learn these proprietary FSUSER commands (partially).

I've been thinking about how the end-product may look like using PixelLab.
These images aren't real (yet) Main menu concept Download menu concept
Also: If you read the warning on my user page on the newer SBS under this link you notice that I'm taking a very long break from programming. This, of course, also applies to this project, which means it's dead for ~9 months from now on. After that, I will continue working on it, even if no one cares about it anymore. Even though the user page describes, why, I'll say it again here: School is giving me so much work and tests, causing my free time to equal the number 0. I cannot refuse or skirt around doing these or otherwise I'll not be able to get a job a few years later due to missing or horrible-looking certificates. Sure, programming is my most favorite hobby, and I could do it 24/7 but now, I have to get away from my desk, do everything, school puts on the table and get an, at least decent, certificate, so I can become an actual programmer as my future job. IDK whether I'll have time to check out SBS and other SNs for the next 9 months, but if you won't see me again, then I wish y'all happy programming and me, signing off for 9 momths. (I'll sure miss y'all. :( )

Also: If you read the warning on my user page on the newer SBS under this link you notice that I'm taking a very long break from programming. This, of course, also applies to this project, which means it's dead for ~9 months from now on. After that, I will continue working on it, even if no one cares about it anymore. Even though the user page describes, why, I'll say it again here: School is giving me so much work and tests, causing my free time to equal the number 0. I cannot refuse or skirt around doing these or otherwise I'll not be able to get a job a few years later due to missing or horrible-looking certificates. Sure, programming is my most favorite hobby, and I could do it 24/7 but now, I have to get away from my desk, do everything, school puts on the table and get an, at least decent, certificate, so I can become an actual programmer as my future job. IDK whether I'll have time to check out SBS and other SNs for the next 9 months, but if you won't see me again, then I wish y'all happy programming and me, signing off for 9 momths. (I'll sure miss y'all. :( )
What school decides to give a sh*t ton of homework and tests during lockdown?! THAT'S INSANE!

I could take up the project, my C skills are pretty decent and I'm working on a library called Written.h
I agree.