LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

SBS website update March 2022

Root / Site Discussion / [.]

haloopdyCreated:
Did a bunch the last few days, it's actually technically ready to convert over. It's missing some things, but nothing that would stop the website from being mostly usable. But I want to get some more stuff into it before I finally convert it, since after conversion, it gets a LOT harder to modify converted data. So... I really want to convert it sometime in the next week or so, barring anything awful happening. Or maybe there's a bunch of stuff I forgot to do that's required, I guess I should look into that...

OK, that's all the required features. We're missing some major stuff but, as far as at least having basic functionality, it's done. I haven't updated smilebasicsource.com yet because I don't want to enable the ability to post things when we're not ready to move over yet. I'm currently hosting a test version on https://oboy.smilebasicsource.com/sbs. Note that changes you make there will NOT persist anywhere once this is over, and I may have to reset that database over there if I have to make major changes. But, if you feel like you want to test it out, please feel free to. I plan on doing the final migration maybe sometime this weekend or next week, and we'll be fully transitioned over to the new website. I do understand the new website is ugly and clunky, ESPECIALLY when it comes to posting, but I really just needed a minimum viable product because I'm not sure what people want or need, and I feel like only a couple of people use SBS anyway. So, once we move to the new website, I'm going to take a break for a while. In that time, while you're using it, think about what needs the most work and let me know, and I should be able to maintain it. Big stuff will of course take more time, and I may deny large requests considering the ridiculously small userbase at this point. But anyway, that's it. Finally at the end; I'm looking forward to converting and having an SBS I can actually do things with, and which is actually usable as a program repository for both the 3ds and the switch versions (and PTC in the future, if there's a desire).

Very likely going to shut down oldsbs tomorrow, after the final migration. I know that's not a lot of time, but something close to the final "new" version of SBS has been deployed for months now, so... if there were things to worry about, I'm hoping they would've already been said. Links to oldsbs will be redirected to the regular site. Some features and data are not accessible at this time but can be restored if desired.

rip oldsbs 🫡

Rest in peace old sbs. 2015-2023. The familiar layout, the confetti in the background (that I bet only a few people even know about), the funny badges, & all the memories... This place really is kinda old now isn't it. I've never seen it that way though. My passion for bringing cool ideas to life will live on. Person reading this, whether you've been here since PTC Wikia, the Miiverse era, or more recent times, thank you for being part of SBS!

Ohh the confetti... kinda want to add that as a secret setting in the new website now lol. And thank you for the meaningful words, thank you everyone for being here. New website still has all the data though and you can still post, so hopefully we'll keep getting fun submissions! I do plan on adding PTC support, hope we can get some of those! I kinda wanted to make some

I added PTC support, so when we move to the new website, you'll be able to easily upload PTC games. You don't have to generate QR codes or anything, just take the .ptc file that petit computer puts on your sd card and upload it on the page editor. The website generates the QR codes for you. I'd like to write some more tests before deploying all this, so I think it'll be sometime next week for the conversion. Just nervous about messing up the data.

Honestly, I feel like this website has done a lot for me. At first when I joined, I was pretty young and stupid and stuff, but the community here has been great and have helped me grow! Programming is not the biggest thing I do, but it is one of the biggest things I’ve considered going into as a career. I’m addicted to music, but since that’s not very cashmoney I think it’d be good to go into computer science or something else. After all the help and support I’ve gotten on this website, I feel comfortable with something that many people find extremely confusing, and I’m really grateful for that! I just want to dive deeper into it because I don’t know very much at all in the realm of computer science, just the basics of programming. This community has given me a strong foundation, and I think that’s very valuable.

Replying to:rando
Honestly, I feel like this website has done a lot for me. At first when I joined, I was pretty young and stupid and stuff, but the community here has been great and have helped me grow! Programming is not the biggest thing I do, but it is one of the biggest things I’ve considered going into as a career. I’m addicted to music, but since that’s not very cashmoney I think it’d be good to go into computer science or something else. After all the help and support I’ve gotten on this website, I feel comfortable with something that many people find extremely confusing, and I’m really grateful for that! I just want to dive deeper into it because I don’t know very much at all in the realm of computer science, just the basics of programming. This community has given me a strong foundation, and I think that’s very valuable.
I'm really glad to hear that, keep doing what you're doing!

"Old SBS" is now decommissioned, all data has been converted to the new website. It's ugly but it's a start. With this update, we lose some stuff, like polls, badges, and some other creature comforts. We're also missing major features like a general search (which I can add later). But we do get actual program sorting and filtering by console, and PTC support with our own QR code generator! Please let me know if you have any issues. All passwords have been reset, so it will ask you to reset on login. If you have issues, send an email to smilebasicsource@gmail.com

Replying to:haloopdy
"Old SBS" is now decommissioned, all data has been converted to the new website. It's ugly but it's a start. With this update, we lose some stuff, like polls, badges, and some other creature comforts. We're also missing major features like a general search (which I can add later). But we do get actual program sorting and filtering by console, and PTC support with our own QR code generator! Please let me know if you have any issues. All passwords have been reset, so it will ask you to reset on login. If you have issues, send an email to smilebasicsource@gmail.com
Woo! Congrats to you on reaching a major milestone. Hopefully this new site will be easier for you to manage. Looking forward to posting more in the future!

Replying to:kitesinpowerlines
Woo! Congrats to you on reaching a major milestone. Hopefully this new site will be easier for you to manage. Looking forward to posting more in the future!
Thank you so much! I'm hoping people will use to site a bit so I can get a good idea of what to tweak. I know posting kinda sucks... just had to get something that works first

I added PTC support, so when we move to the new website, you'll be able to easily upload PTC games. You don't have to generate QR codes or anything, just take the .ptc file that petit computer puts on your sd card and upload it on the page editor. The website generates the QR codes for you. I'd like to write some more tests before deploying all this, so I think it'll be sometime next week for the conversion. Just nervous about messing up the data.
:D very cool, now I can dump all of my random stuff here too. Would moving PTC docs/resources/etc to here also be fine? It'd be nice to get the useful stuff onto a place that isn't wikia.

Replying to:Minxrod
:D very cool, now I can dump all of my random stuff here too. Would moving PTC docs/resources/etc to here also be fine? It'd be nice to get the useful stuff onto a place that isn't wikia.
Oh yeah feel free to! If they're true docs (like snail was making for sb 4, like a tree) you might want to wait until we add doc support, but if they work as resources, feel free to! I need to improve the editor (it's so clunky) so there's that too, if you don't want to hassle with the stupid category table

Oh yeah feel free to! If they're true docs (like snail was making for sb 4, like a tree) you might want to wait until we add doc support, but if they work as resources, feel free to! I need to improve the editor (it's so clunky) so there's that too, if you don't want to hassle with the stupid category table
I assume that would be like finer category control or something, so the site navigation can be used to access groups of pages or something similar? I could wait for that.

I assume that would be like finer category control or something, so the site navigation can be used to access groups of pages or something similar? I could wait for that.
So currently, pages/resources work like they did in old SBS (I just don't display a way to navigate the categories, it's just part of search). They've become like tags, because we had a problem where we came up with a tree but you were able to put pages in multiple places on the tree. If your pages fit this scheme, like a tutorial for instance, they can still work as resources. The new documentation structure will be a specialized tree separate from the other pages that people can't create pages in willy-nilly. You're given a true tree overview and you can manage the tree and subpages and all that, and the results are planned to be output to static html so they can be easily moved and hosted after the fact. Note that you can still create a custom tree using bbcode on some master resource page if you'd prefer; documentation will not operate like standard pages and (a) won't show up on your userpage (example: https://smilebasicsource.com/user/randomous) (b) may not show up in activity at all (c) won't allow comments. It's meant as "official" (sort of) documentation that you can just peruse.

So currently, pages/resources work like they did in old SBS (I just don't display a way to navigate the categories, it's just part of search). They've become like tags, because we had a problem where we came up with a tree but you were able to put pages in multiple places on the tree. If your pages fit this scheme, like a tutorial for instance, they can still work as resources. The new documentation structure will be a specialized tree separate from the other pages that people can't create pages in willy-nilly. You're given a true tree overview and you can manage the tree and subpages and all that, and the results are planned to be output to static html so they can be easily moved and hosted after the fact. Note that you can still create a custom tree using bbcode on some master resource page if you'd prefer; documentation will not operate like standard pages and (a) won't show up on your userpage (example: https://smilebasicsource.com/user/randomous) (b) may not show up in activity at all (c) won't allow comments. It's meant as "official" (sort of) documentation that you can just peruse.
I'm looking to write mostly detailed descriptions of what all the commands/functions/etc do, mostly to keep track of all of the weird undocumented or unintended stuff. I feel like either comments or some sort of revision/suggestion could be helpful if I miss something, so maybe it would be better as a resource? Then again, that could be a separate page for revision/comments to try and keep the documents themselves clean. I kind of like being able to put stuff in multiple places in a tree, but I can see why it's probably not a good thing to do usually. It's mostly just funny and not really helpful.

I'm looking to write mostly detailed descriptions of what all the commands/functions/etc do, mostly to keep track of all of the weird undocumented or unintended stuff. I feel like either comments or some sort of revision/suggestion could be helpful if I miss something, so maybe it would be better as a resource? Then again, that could be a separate page for revision/comments to try and keep the documents themselves clean. I kind of like being able to put stuff in multiple places in a tree, but I can see why it's probably not a good thing to do usually. It's mostly just funny and not really helpful.
Ah those fit perfectly into documentation. OK, I think that should probably wait for the doc system to be written then. Hmmm you're right about comments being helpful, I'll have to think about how to do that then... I mean it'd be much faster/easier to make the documentation dynamic for now and maybe have export features later. That way we can get documentation NOW