LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

SBS 2 Updates + Discussion

Root / Site Discussion / [.]

haloopdyCreated:
We've finally migrated away from old SmileBASIC Source. I know it's sad to see it go, but I just couldn't maintain it in the state it was in. I'd like to use this thread to talk about updates as I release them, and for you to discuss changes you'd like to see or bugs or anything. Note that SBS 2 is fully opensource, so you can also submit issues on github (I'll be more likely to see it there): https://github.com/randomouscrap98/sbs-rust-contentapi At the time of writing this thread, there are still tons of missing things that I know I sorely miss already. Hopefully I can add them as time goes on, but I can't promise anything. Just getting to this point, this stripped down version of SBS, has taken years. I want to keep supporting SBS, but I have to be realistic. Certain features just take far too much effort to do if nobody is here to enjoy them. But if there's even a small audience, I'd like to do what I can to give you what you need.

I think the only person who will notice is Minxrod, but we have an easier to use editor now. You used to have to copy the system and the categories out of a table and into a text field, but they're just checkboxes now. You still have to copy image ids, but I'll work on that when I can (it's kinda tough; the image part of the old editor was a ton of code)

Replying to:haloopdy
I think the only person who will notice is Minxrod, but we have an easier to use editor now. You used to have to copy the system and the categories out of a table and into a text field, but they're just checkboxes now. You still have to copy image ids, but I'll work on that when I can (it's kinda tough; the image part of the old editor was a ton of code)
I can see the new check boxes on the SB3/4 upload page, but not on the PTC program page. If anyone else wants to see the difference, there it is

Replying to:Minxrod
I can see the new check boxes on the SB3/4 upload page, but not on the PTC program page. If anyone else wants to see the difference, there it is
Shoot sorry, yes that was broken. It should be fixed now. Speaking of fixes, another update: when linking threads and programs, it should fill out at least some relevant information for the preview on discord/etc. Examples:

Another enhancement: if you sit on the MAIN activity page (as in, the 'first' page, not any deeper), it will periodically check for new events and throw a visual on the page when there are new events, just like oldsbs. It also changes the title of the tab to include the count. So, if you're a lurker who used to sit on the oldsbs activity page waiting for those, you can do it again!

Added a "recent activity" section on the frontpage. It's very similar to the list of pages we had on oldsbs on the frontpage: rather than ALL activity, it shows individual pages that have had activity on them recently. Hopefully that's somewhat useful!

Fixed header bbcode issues (too much space compared to old sbs). The spacing may still be inconsistent in certain situations, but that's because oldsbs was very inconsistent. I've made the bbcode tag parser act like you'd expect (mostly), so you don't have to do so many weird things.

Made posting WAY better: there's a textbox right in the thread for new threads (like a normal website!). Not only that, but if you edit or reply to a post, it actually puts the textbox right there so you can see the context! That was so annoying! (I know it was only like 10 total posts that had to deal with that but yeesh). This was kind of an extensive change, so let me know if you have any trouble.

Replying to:haloopdy
Made posting WAY better: there's a textbox right in the thread for new threads (like a normal website!). Not only that, but if you edit or reply to a post, it actually puts the textbox right there so you can see the context! That was so annoying! (I know it was only like 10 total posts that had to deal with that but yeesh). This was kind of an extensive change, so let me know if you have any trouble.
Reply box wow! Related to posting, are there plans to bring back the preview option? I think that's the main thing I've noticed is still missing. Also, the recent activity notification definitely works.

Replying to:Minxrod
Reply box wow! Related to posting, are there plans to bring back the preview option? I think that's the main thing I've noticed is still missing. Also, the recent activity notification definitely works.
shoot I knew there was something glaring missing.... oof that is rather difficult to implement. I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, you can use ummm post your text here? I know it sucks, I'll eventually embed it into the page https://smilebasicsource.com/widget/bbcodepreview. I'd only use it for bigger pages but it's at least something.

OK, that was most of the glaring issues I couldn't bear to leave everyone dealing with. I know there's still a ton left to do, but I may take a break for a while. If there's anything urgent (especially if it's a bug) please feel free to post it as an issue on github, I'll see it quickly: https://github.com/randomouscrap98/sbs-rust-contentapi/issues

I've imported the documentation from the previous "newsbs" (the one that didn't work out) so now we have all the documentation snail and others worked on! It's missing some key features (like searching!) but you can at least browse the tree and we can edit and add new documentation.

We now have rudimentary search. You can search for users or any viewable content. Also, threads can now have keywords associated with them, so if you're the owner of any important threads, you could add keywords now so they show up in appropriate search results! Search uses the title and keywords only for searching. Search is ordered by a very simple "relevance" metric, which doesn't look at popularity at all (to make it run faster). If the sorting is weird, I might be able to move stuff around to make it slightly better but I don't want to do too much, lest I make it slow (especially since I'm searching across all content in the database) EDIT: Oh, and I added something I know some people will hate (sorry). There's too much in the top bar now, so when it gets too narrow, the links turn into emoji. I know proper svgs or a burger menu or anything else is better but I just wanted to get something out there first. I might make it better later if it's super bothersome, but I mean... I'm sure people will figure it out lol

Good job. The new Desing looks great. By the Way: The emoji-Bar is nice.

Replying to:S_DE_Solutions
Good job. The new Desing looks great. By the Way: The emoji-Bar is nice.
Ah thank you very much! And I'm glad the emoji bar looks okay!

Added edit messages for threads and pages (including documentation). Try to use them if you want people to know what you changed! They will show up in the activity; you'll notice all edits are currently just blank (because I never gave you the option to add a message). Your edit message will show up there. EDIT: Oh also, added some new icons to differentiate documentation in search results (and other places)

Fixed alignment on various checkboxes (such as settings, yeesh that was bad). Spruced up search a small bit. You can now re-add the pagination for threads back to the top of the post area. We used to have that on oldsbs; I didn't know if it would look OK here but it was requested so it's a setting. It's off by default; if people say it's just generally better to have the pagination on top as well, I may change it to default to true.

Hello :) I've recently dicovered the smallbasic for Switch, and wanted to say good job so far! :) I am reading all as inspiration source, and I would love to know what is possible with it :)

Replying to:grejba
Hello :) I've recently dicovered the smallbasic for Switch, and wanted to say good job so far! :) I am reading all as inspiration source, and I would love to know what is possible with it :)
Hello. Unfortunately these forums aren't used much, but there is a discord if you'd like some help: https://discord.gg/xnqfXfw (Also this isn't the right place to post; this thread is for discussion about website updates and not SmileBASIC for Switch. If you do want to use the forums, there's https://smilebasicsource.com/forum/thread/smilebasic-4-discussion4 but it hasn't been used in a while)

OK we should finally have previews in at LEAST the page editors now. I haven't added them to the post editors but... hopefully that'll help for documentation and whatnot