LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

Baldi's BASICs

Root / Submissions / [.]

h267Created:
Download:BBB4VKAE
Version:0.0.6Size:2.4 MB
A "port" of the original Baldi's Basics created by mystman12. Now with a tricky camera, and worse retro graphics! Your friend has lost all of his notebooks, and you gotta find them! It may not seem tricky at first, but Baldi loves to challenge his students with tricky math problems. And if you get one wrong... Well, let's just say you do not want to anger him. I tried to make something right before I had to go under for surgery, so this is what I came up with. Enjoy! I do plan on updating this in the future, adding items and characters to better reflect the source game, but I might not be working on it for a while because I have to recover. I hope you enjoy this little game!

Instructions:

Run BALDI, enjoy the low quality title graphics, then press A for control information. The rest is up to you! D-Pad (HOLD): Move/Change Direction L/R (HOLD): Strafe (Handy for the wonky camera and faster than moving forward) X: Use item
Tips
  • Try to memorize the school’s layout and item locations. This will make future runs much easier. You’re free to scope out the school at the beginning, so use this to your advantage.
  • Hate jumpscares or just want the game to be easier? Hold L when pressing A at the title screen or disclaimer screen. If you did it correctly, a beep will play. Welcome to easy mode.
  • You don’t have to get the notebooks right by Baldi at the start. The whole school is yours from the beginning, unlike in the original.
  • Baldi can only travel through the main halls and cafeteria unless he sees you, meaning you can use rooms as cover. Unlike the first game, however, he knows where you are at all times.
  • There are no extra characters or items besides the Energy Flavored Zesty Bar, but that may soon change.
  • Strafing is faster and less cumbersome than actually trying to turn. However, you won’t be able to see entrances to rooms or other things behind you if you only use this method.
  • Just because you can use rooms as cover doesn’t mean you should. Baldi can and will camp you if you try to camp in one of the classrooms. Don’t stay too long unless you’re willing to make a run for it.
  • Pay attention to the distance meter and warning text. “Danger!” means that Baldi is extremely close to you. If you see “RUN!!”, then Baldi is now locked on to you and actively pursuing you.

Notes:

PATCH NOTES: v0.0.6: 6/30/18 - Increased movement speed by 1.5x - Baldi’s speed has been increased by 1.125x - Added Playtime, a creepy girl who always wants to play with you but in reality ends up holding you hostage and violently thrusting herself into you and screaming. Fun! - Added a map on the bottom screen. Items and Baldi will appear on the map if you’re close enough to them. - Removed the distance meter from Easy Mode for now, but jumpscares are still nullified. v0.0.5: 6/25/18 - Made graphics only refresh if they need to in order to stop any flickering - Fixed East being mislabeled as South and vice-versa. - Upgrades to Baldi • Speed increased by 33% • Baldi’s AI is now a lot smarter - Items • Introduced the first item in the game: the Energy Flavored Zesty Bar • These can sometimes be found in small corridors and the cafeteria • Consuming one with X will increase your movement speed by over 1.5x, its effects gradually wear out. • Another one can be consumed while a speed boost is active to stack them • The player’s inventory is only one slot for now v0.0.4: 6/24/18 - Fixed an issue where invisible soda cans would unintentionally transform into paralyzed Baldis - Allowed Baldi to move around the northeast corner, where it was previously impossible - Added new rooms and expanded others - Made player coordinates display before Baldi moves, so they don’t flicker v0.0.3: 6/23/18 - Added music, including my own crappy recreation of the math theme. - Made the jumpscare more likely to make you throw your 3DS - Hid the distance meter because it makes the game less scary - Made the jumpscare more like the one from the main game - Added a hidden option to turn the distance meter back on and turn off the jumpscare for wimps like me - Baldi’s slapping now gets louder/quieter depending on your distance from him v0.0.2: 6/21/18 - Added a disclaimer so SmileBoom won’t take this down again hopefully -Made a little bit of text look nicer -Added a distance meter on the bottom screen to make it easier to keep an eye on Baldi -Fixed a bug where Baldi would get interrupted by the sound of his own slapping CREDITS: Original Game, Sprites, and Sounds: mystman12 Programming: Me Importing Resources: Trinitro21 Sound Library: 12me21

Replying to:mystman12
Haha, looks like the game's gone full circle! :P Fun fact, I actually heavily considered making Baldi's Basics with calc84maniac's raycaster years ago. I just checked and I have a program called "BB_V0.00" in a folder called "BALDIS_BASICS." The file was just Spooky Maze, but with a horrible white brick texture for the walls. I never really figured out how to use raycaster though so I quickly gave up on making it in SB. Incredibly, this file is dated November 1, 2015! I knew the idea for the game was one I've had for a while, but I didn't realize it was that old! Anyways, I guess now SmileBASIC can get a mention on the Baldi's Basics Wiki. :P
Make sure to review it one star as a fraud and maybe report it.

idk, the game feels empty without the music, i recorded the math and school theme (R573V3HE) i hope you can use those WAVES

Replying to:Ertas
idk, the game feels empty without the music, i recorded the math and school theme (R573V3HE) i hope you can use those WAVES
The music doesn’t even play for most of the game, as all of it stops after you get a problem wrong. If I were to include the music, it would need to be in MML format to save space. I’m only prioritizing the most important sounds because they take up a ton of space. The game is already half of the maximum project size, and that’s with the unused sounds cut out.

Oh, ok i understand

Welp I went ahead and added music anyway. So there you go.

Well that was unexpected but ok

Dear God...

And the award for best constructive criticism goes to...

this game sucks.

Replying to:Sam
this game sucks.
balls

this game sucks.
This is about as much of a sad excuse of a comment as MARIO 7 was a sad excuse of a program. It only existed to ride off of someone else’s joke and get people to upvote it ironically. It probably only took three hours in total for you to make. Yet it gets nothing but praise. Meanwhile I’m sitting in a hospital bed working my ass off trying to fix and improve my game despite my inability to move, constant discomfort and pain, high stress, and sleep deprivation. Even now after my time in the hospital, I continue working on patching my game despite my muscles still being torn up from surgery. Sure, the game isn’t the prettiest, nor is it the most complete, but at least I put more than less than a day’s work in it and little thought into it. I did not intend on riding off of the source game’s popularity but instead was driven to develop this out of pure passion for the game and its interesting mechanics. I spent time that I could have spent resting faithfully working on this project. I didn’t have to, but I did. I took all that time and energy to create something that other people could enjoy. Even if I didn’t survive surgery, it could have be there for other people as my final contribution. It may not look the best now, or ever, but it was something that I thought I could be a little proud of through this dark time that I’m currently going through. So thank you. Thank you for shitting on one of the only things I had to be happy about through some of the toughest moments I’ve ever had to deal with. It must be an honor for you.

this game sucks. But here's why. The core concept is good enough and the engine "works" as intended, though there are some very large flaws that stop it from breaking ground to...playability? I don't know exactly what the engine you used is called (it was used in a sample program, no?) but there's a few...issues with using it. Baldi's isn't a dungeon crawler. It requires you to be able to learn where you are based on the appearance of your surroundings and with the very strict rules set in place by the engine, it's dang near impossible to tell where you are. To remedy this I suggest including something also found in the dungeon crawler: a map. Procedurally generated or however you want, but some sense of placement has to be there. Along with this...you move pretty slow. I suggest bumping up the sensitivity to allow quicker turning at the very least. This CAN work but you've still got a lot of work ahead of you on top of adding other assets of the original game. I'll admit it is bad, but not unfixably bad and with some tweaking this could actually be a fun port to play.

this game sucks.
Awwh! I feel so bad for you! You deserve ten billion upvotes! Your game doesn't suck less just because you made it in a hospital... I got upvotes because people liked what I did: if you want upvotes, make people like your game. And yes, it's an honor for me to make others laugh on such an awful game's page. It improves their experience lol (Ok, now for the "positive" parts) You think I'm here to destroy your life or something. Why would I want that? I'm here to help you. I want you to make better games, because you have the determination for it. If I didn't care about you, I would easily have ignored your game. The message was: you have potential. Keep it up, and I'm sure one day you'll make something awesome. Also, why are you complaining? If you really were proud of what you released, you wouldn't be getting mad at comments like mine... In fact, if you are proud of your game, that's all that matters. Maybe the comment is insulting and it's meant to be ironic, but it's the truth... Remember what we talked about in chat? Sometimes people (like you in this case) don't wanna hear the truth. This game is not enjoyable at all and I will never play it ever again, just like most people. That's the truth. You have to see the truth and judge yourself whether it matters to you or not.

Replying to:chemicalex
this game sucks. But here's why. The core concept is good enough and the engine "works" as intended, though there are some very large flaws that stop it from breaking ground to...playability? I don't know exactly what the engine you used is called (it was used in a sample program, no?) but there's a few...issues with using it. Baldi's isn't a dungeon crawler. It requires you to be able to learn where you are based on the appearance of your surroundings and with the very strict rules set in place by the engine, it's dang near impossible to tell where you are. To remedy this I suggest including something also found in the dungeon crawler: a map. Procedurally generated or however you want, but some sense of placement has to be there. Along with this...you move pretty slow. I suggest bumping up the sensitivity to allow quicker turning at the very least. This CAN work but you've still got a lot of work ahead of you on top of adding other assets of the original game. I'll admit it is bad, but not unfixably bad and with some tweaking this could actually be a fun port to play.
I do have a working map system for debugging, so I could easily do a bit of tweaking for regular gameplay. It might help with the bad graphics for when I add a better graphics engine later. Speed-wise, do you mean the rate at which the camera turns or the player’s forward movement speed, or both?

Replying to:chemicalex
Speed-wise, do you mean the rate at which the camera turns or the player’s forward movement speed, or both?
Both. The camera seems to drag (I don't recall if it immediately turns on input or not but with jagged 90 degree turns, it needs to) and the player moves at a speed that makes it feel like the game is lagging.

this game sucks.
Yeah... but maybe you could’ve given even one small reason so you looked like you were ACTUALLY trying to help? Again, I’ve been feeling really crappy lately so this comment made me feel like all of that energy I’ve invested into the game was wasted because people here are ungrateful assholes. Sure, the game doesn’t suck less because of my mood, but the last thing you want when you’re feeling like shit is for someone to blatantly insult something you’ve invested a bunch your energy into. Maybe it had to be said, but there are multiple ways to communicate the same thing, and not all of those ways have to be harsh. If you were really trying to help me like you claimed to be, then why didn’t you just give me real constructive criticism instead of making me wish I never came back to this dying website?

this game sucks.
(to anyone reading this, we talked it out in the chat. the reply above has very valid points.)

this game sucks.
Encore!

If you would please take a look at the vote ratio, you will clearly see that most people have upvoted it. This is the sign of a not trash game. Oh, but... Even if it took tons of work to make this, at least try to make it show. The fact that you went with unmodified graphics of dungeon tanken shows that you didn't release it out of hoping others would enjoy it. My point: If it's not enjoyable, don't release it. I haven't released a game that I clearly didn't know how to make or wasn't playable (the version of Baldi SB I played was definitely unplayable), so even though you have to struggle for it, please do so. If you really are doing this for our benefit, you're not doing so well.

10/10 keywords. Vedy nahce... who you calling Baldi?