DescriptionNOTICE: This project will likely never become a full game port due to the tileset in the original game being 20x20. I absolutely cannot be bothered to make a new library for handling bg tiles of any size.
It took three hellish months and a summer away from working on this to complete, but I did it, I finally did it. It's (mostly) the Undertale intro you know and love, painfully remade in SmileBASIC 3 with as much accuracy as I was bothered to get, complete with custom MML music and a nearly complete textbox system that handles strings in a similar way to the original game.
Thank you to MZ952 for the image compression algorithm. Link to the project page: https://smilebasicsource.com/page?pid=1535
A couple other things to note:
- The way i'm playing the sound samples for text is most likely inferior to some other method of doing it, spare buying the DLC
- I can feel that the way i made the text box system is disgusting. The main issue is that i've just allocated sprite 400 to 500 for text only, which chews into the sprite limit.
- If I am able to continue with the rest of the game, there is no way this can be uploaded to the smileboom servers because of its size. They also might take it down like they did with a couple other things.
- do not expect a consistent update schedule for this. every project i work on is in a "do whenever" state.
also i threw in a bonus practice program that looks neatInstructionsA - Skip to end of text
B - Advance text
Y - unused for now
Dpad - unused for now
Hold START to exit any program easily.Notes
- Added boxes around image slides to correct their size
- Positioned intro text to correct height
- Implemented compression for GRP files
- Removed currently unnecessary GRP file
- probably added an extra screen