LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

Codename F.S. Character, World, and Gameplay Development

Root / General / [.]

AveryCreated:
I'm not gonna make it all secretive. I will need some help and motivation from some people. The roots for the story of, abbreviated working title, F.S., are not dug deep. It's still quite floating in the air, not solid. The gameplay style is also not completely figured out, but I have the idea that I want it to be rooted in some of the overworld gameplay style of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, with the atmosphere, or theme of Gatiss & Moffat's adaptation of Sherlock, and/or Stranger Things, (Which I just watched yesterday and fell in love with,) and with my art style.*(1)
Artwork *(1)
I originally hoped for this to be, and I still do want this to be an animated series one day, but making it as a SmileBASIC video game first seems like a great way to make it into something great and enjoyable before pitching or crowdfunding for it. That's too much to jump for at first, and this soon. So, with all that, I think a great way to get me to write down and come up with new details is to take questions and answer them an the spot. The discussion will likely not be limited to that though. I hope this becomes something very appealing, detailed, amazing when this is finally finished. Edit: no quotes needed --Lumage Edit: I know, but it's good habit to use them anyway. --Cole

Very cool. What's the general story?

Very cool. What's the general story?
I'm still working it out. I will tell you that the two main protagonists are college students Kaitlyn and Danny. of course, obviously, I made then to be shipped together. Veerrrryy shipped. I am kinda worried about how their relationship would fit into the plot. I don't want it to seem cheap, cheesy, or tacked-on. I want it to be a reason why they are so strong together. I know it's a weird, very teenager-like thing to really want a relationship in there but, yeah, I want that. They also both have some sort of magic or extreme skill. I like the idea of magic, of some sort, where all they have to do is learn in a certain way, and they pretty much gain superpowers as the story progresses,which they can use in the overworld and battle with Mario & Luigi mechanics. They talk to each other a lot in the game, not just about themselves, but about how to defeat their enemies. They think together to figure out why and how they got magic, and put figurative puzzle pieces together to solve the mysteries of their situations and enemies' plans. This is also the flashy powerful type of magic, which they can use to temporarily materialize weapons which appear as semi-transparent colored objects, like ghost swords, for example. I want to make sure there's a distinction of it from the old fairy tales, magic lamps, potions, and curses type of magic. I honestly am a little bothered by calling it magic, but there's no other name for it, and I'm not making one up... yet. (*COUGH*insignificant detail, but i'm still calling a spoiler*COUGH*) Kate is the leader, the more confident one. She at first doesn't crush over Dan until she sees how much Dan loves and respects her. She's cutesy when she wants to be, but confident most of the time, especially when strength is important, like in confrontation to enemies. Her personality is based on my two best friends. She's always there when Dan needs her, and she comforts him really well, and is very intelligent and handles the bulk of the problem solving. Daniel Francis will probably have to be renamed though, because I found that he is WAY too similar to Danny Fenton/Phantom from the surface. However, I still want him in, and he has his own details. He's pretty girly. His natural hair color is black, but he bleached and dyed his hair pink and blonde. He's especially tender towards Kate when alone with her and hugs her as much as much as possible and looks up to her. He enjoys being submissive to her because he wants to feel completely overwhelmed by his feelings for her, as they're so enjoyable. Danny is mostly based on myself, and the kind of person I want to be. Kate and Dan are not the only ones who know how to use powers, there are many, many people on earth who also do. Many wish to destroy and terrorize with their powers, while the rest typically try to prevent the first group destroying as much as possible. Kate and Dan fall into the latter group, and they will meet and add people to that group as well. You may end up even playing as two other good guys through a portion of the game. Irene is an enemy, because she wants to cause destruction, usually emotionally, to large masses of people at once, through psychological methods of thought manipulation on a large scale, without ever using direct mind control powers. She can only change the environment the people observe. This is all I want to write right now.

Ok, sounds cool. I think I kinda get the feel of what you mean by "magic".

Don't wanna call them superpowers either. Too... I don't know... 'murica. lmao.

I'm curious. Can you guess why I named Irene what I did?

Perhaps because the name Irene means "peace" which is ironic because she causes so much destruction?

Perhaps because the name Irene means "peace" which is ironic because she causes so much destruction?
Really? I named her after hurricane Irene which knocked part of my city's power out for 8 days.

I noticed a URL in your concept art there. http://natealexander.cf GG

I noticed a URL in your concept art there. http://natealexander.cf GG
Oh yeah I need to make that go to a page so you can click to go to Twitter, Tumblr, or DeviantArt, etc. from that URL.

Thinking back to what I said about basing the atmosphere on Sherlock and Stranger Things, I don't think that's right. It shouldn't be all based on those. Probably the more serious parts, but not all of it. I guess I want it to be more in line with the style of other JRPGs, and that inspiration of atmosphere/editing direction probably most belongs on the big screen for serious scenes, but then, I don't really intend for this to be all serious. Also, look at anime a bit, I guess. I haven't watched any in months. AAAA. Maybe it would make some sense to put some of these ideas into cutscenes.

Really, what my dream goal is, regardless if this is an animation or video game, is to make something impressive, and something that spawns a community around itself. I don't know how well it can do limited to running in SmileBASIC. Something not many people have. It would be better on PC for virality. I wouldn't know what to use to make it, though. I just wish it could be ported from PTC to PC. I would love to have it on both. Anyway, though, I'm also thinking of using certain songs to help direct the feeling of the story as well. I don't want to make other writers listen to the songs though. haha.

I think I may need a small team to develop this game, and I hope that maybe we could develop this for both PTC and PC by making something simple for both that would interpret instruction data the same way, so the games could run exactly the same, and debugging could be done on PC before loading it into PTC.

Like, making different algorithms which load backgrounds, sprites, cutscenes, animations, and text for each platform, but load the same type of data.

My ideas are a bit ambitious.

I think I may need a small team to develop this game, and I hope that maybe we could develop this for both PTC and PC by making something simple for both that would interpret instruction data the same way, so the games could run exactly the same, and debugging could be done on PC before loading it into PTC.
Here's where I can help, seeing I can't get SB, BUT I do have PTC.

Here's where I can help, seeing I can't get SB, BUT I do have PTC.
Actually, by PTC, I was referring to SmileBASIC. Sorry, it's still in my habit to refer to it as PTC.

it could possibly be put on Petit Computer too if it isn't too demanding.

it could possibly be put on Petit Computer too if it isn't too demanding.
True, you just have to downscale textures, convert the images to GRPs, use GRPs instead of DATs, and work past DEF.