LoginLogin
Nintendo shutting down 3DS + Wii U online services, see our post

About content ownership

Root / General / [.]

raimondzCreated:
Hi, Anyone know what are the terms of copyright and content ownership of smilebasic's server? I'm not talking about using content of other games. I mean what happen to the original content and code... if it belong to the people who upload it or to smileboom. I tried to find this topic on SmileBasic page and manual, but I didn't found anything yet.

Well, the button in the Network Menu says "Publish my 'secondary-use-free' project". So I think you are agreeing that others can use your content if you create a public key.

Well, SmileBASIC is an educational tool so everything is open to everyone.

The question doesn't seem to be about others using/modifying code, it's about whether the author still has rights/ownership or if Smileboom automatically owns everything created with the software. I don't... I don't remember seeing anything about this, and if it isn't stated I would assume you own your programs. Actually, the answer might be in the Ogiri contest, where Smileboom more or less owns everything about your program and you're just a sticker if you even bothered to list yourself on the title screen, etc. Ah, here it is.
The applicant has the copyright to the programs they submit both before and after receive an award in the contest. However, after applying for the contest, SmileBoom Co.Ltd. has exclusive rights in regard to copying, publishing, publically announcing, exhibiting, using, screening, etc. entries. For more information, please read the Letter of Confirmation[**].
So yeah, you do have rights to your program, except when submitting for e.g. a contest where you agree to allow Smileboom to use it for contest and magazine republication matters. **http://smilebasic.com/en/ogiri4/media/agreement.pdf

Surely there's a EULA/terms that you have to agree to before using the server... Isn't there? It has to be written there. If not, then by default all content you create belongs exclusively to you.