#1✎ 231ShellySo, you want to download Custom Firmware on your 3ds, New 3ds, New 2ds, or 2ds? This task is rather simple, and hopefully this guide will answer some questions you may have, as well as brush you in the right direction.
First off, why download CFW? Well, it lets you do multiple things such as get free games (don't do this, its illegal), as well as download homebrew 3ds games.
(Below process only tested on old 3ds, results may vary)
So first off what you want to do is buy a device known as a "flash cartridge". These basically work just like any flash-cartridge, so I'm not going to go into depth about what a flash cartridge is. I bought a R4I-SDHC 3DS RTC, micro-SD card not included.
Once your flash cartridge arrives the first thing you must do is plug your micro-SD to your computer and download a .nds file to it, any will work, just make sure its .nds. If it runs the game you can proceed to the next step, if it doesn't work try another game. If it continuously fails that means this guide won't work properly, so don't continue.
Once you have established that the game works pop your micro-SD card back into your computer and delete your game. Then follow the below process:
WARNING: The below process will almost certainly ruin your flash cartridge, do not continue if you do not understand the risks involved.
1. Download the latest version of ds_ntrboot_flasher (https://github.com/ntrteam/ds_ntrboot_flasher/releases/latest). Download the Dsi flasher, not the DS one.
2. Take the SD card from your flash cartridge and insert it into your computer.
3. Copy ds_ntrboot_flasher_dsi.nds (from the file you downloaded) to the flash cartridge micro-SD card. Then reinsert the micro-SD into your flash cartridge and boot it up. You should see a new file/game has been added.
4. Select the new file
5. Press A to continue.
6. Use the D-pad to select your flash cartridge.
7. Press A to continue
8. Press A again
9. Select "retail" (press A)
10. Press A to continue
11. Select "Exit".
For the below process you will need a magnet to trigger your device's sleep-mode switch, so now is probably a good time to get that. If you don't have anything else available a fridge magnet will most likely work.
Follow the below steps:
1. Download the latest version of SafeB9SInstaller, https://github.com/d0k3/SafeB9SInstaller/releases/latest
2. Download the latest version of boot9strap, https://github.com/SciresM/boot9strap/releases/latest. Get the standard one, not the dev version, not the ntr file.
3. Download the latest version of Luma3ds, https://github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/latest Tip: If you are using a windows computer like me it probably won't be able to use the .7z file, so you must use a converter tool. I used an online one, link here: https://convertio.co/7z-zip/
4. Download the homebrew starter kit, http://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/starter.zip
Okay, now you're really on the right track.
Next, copy safeB9SInstaller.firm from the SafeB9SInstaller .zip file to the root of your SD card. Rename this file "boot.firm".
1. Copy the contents of starter.zip to the root of your SD card, not the entire folder, just its contents.
2. Create a folder named "boot9strap" on the root of your SD card.
3. Copy boot9strap.firm and boot9strap.firm.sha from the boot9strap .zip to the /boot9strap/ folder on your SD card
4.Put the SD card back into your DS and power it on.
The next process can get a bit tricky, but if you follow the steps it should work.
1. Use the magnet you got earlier to find the spot on your 3ds which triggers the sleep switch. If you can't find it try to get a stronger magnet.
2. Turn off your 3ds
3. Put in your flash cartridge.
4. Place the magnet in the correct spot so that when your 3ds turns on it will trigger the sleep sensor.
5. Hold (Power) + "Start" + "Select" + (X) for several seconds, then release. If this process was successful you will be booted into SafeB9SInstaller
6. Wait for the checks to complete
7. Remove the magnet from your 3ds
8. When prompted put in the combo give, this will install boot9strap. Once you do this power off your device by holding the power button for several seconds.
NOTE: Until the process BELOW is complete your device will only boot into the SafeB9SInstaller screen, so don't be concerned if it starts doing this.
Complete the below process:
1. Remove the SD card from your 3ds and insert it into your computer
2. Delete boot.firm from the root of your SD card, then intall boot.firm from the Luma3ds .7z file (if the .7z file isn't in the right from scroll above to the section where it lists the solution)
3. Put your SD card back into your 3ds
4. Power on your 3ds. You should be booted into the Luma3ds configuration menu.
5. Use the A-button/ D-pad to select “Show NAND or user string in System Settings”. Press "Start" to save and reboot
For the below process you will need:
-The latest release of Anemone3DS (the .cia file), https://github.com/astronautlevel2/Anemone3DS/releases/latest
-The latest release of Checkpoint (the .cia file), https://github.com/BernardoGiordano/Checkpoint/releases/latest
-The latest release of hblauncher_loader, https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases/latest
-The latest release of GodMode9, https://github.com/d0k3/GodMode9/releases/latest
-The latest release of DSP1, https://github.com/zoogie/DSP1/releases/latest
-The latest release of FBI (the .cia and .3dsx files), https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases/latest
-The latest fork of Luma3DS Updater (the .cia file),
You're close to being done. I know, its felt like a long process, stick with me.
Complete the below process:
1. Turn of your device
2. Copy the file FBI.3dsx to the /3ds/ folder on your SD card. During doing this for some reason my 3ds didn't have a folder names this, so I just created a new one and it worked fine.
3. Create a new folder called "cias" on the root of your SD card. Your 3ds shouldn't have this yet, so you'll need to make a new folder called this.
4. copy hblauncher_loader.cia from the hblauncher_loader.zip file to the newly created "cias" folder.
5. Copy lumaupdater.cia to the /cias/ folder on your SD card
6. Copy FBI.cia to the /cias/ folder on your SD card
7. Copy DSP1.cia to the /cias/ folder on your SD card
8. Copy Anemone3DS.cia to the /cias/ folder on your SD card
9. Copy Checkpoint.cia to the /cias/ folder on your SD card
Okay, so now you should have multiple .cia file in the cias folder of your SD card. If you do, you're on the right track. If not, re-read the previous steps to make sure you did them.
Complete the below process:
1. Create a folder named payloads in the luma folder on your SD card if it does not already exist. In my case there was no folder called "luma" so I had to create one, and it worked out fine.
2. Copy GodMode9.firm from the GodMode9 .zip to the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card
3. Delete ntrboot_flasher.firm from the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card if it exists
4. Copy the gm9 folder from the GodMode9 .zip to the root of your SD card
5. Copy setup_ctrnand_luma3ds.gm9 to the /gm9/scripts/ folder on your SD card
6. Copy cleanup_sd_card.gm9 to the /gm9/scripts/ folder on your SD card
Once you have done the above process:
1. Put your SD card back into your 3ds
2. Turn on your 3ds
3. Update your device by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”
NOTE: THE ABOVE GUIDE IS STILL BEING ADDED TO. PLEASE DO NOT DELETE, IT WILL BE FINISHED MOMENTARILY.
#2✎ 231ShellyI hope you all find this useful, although its not currently complete.
#4✎ 67triangleFirst WeekJoined in the very first week of SmileBASIC SourceWebsiteQuery DeniedHiddenEaster EggsExpert ProgrammerProgramming no longer gives me any trouble. Come to me for help, if you like!Programming Strengthhttps://3ds.guide is a guide that is constantly updated by multiple people, is incredibly detailed and has specific instructions for new/old 3DS as well as different software versions, and is well established and trusted in the 3DS hacking community as the definitive guide. I'd recommend following that instead of the one in this thread.
https://3ds.guide is a guide that is constantly updated by multiple people, is incredibly detailed and has specific instructions for new/old 3DS as well as different software versions, and is well established and trusted in the 3DS hacking community as the definitive guide. I'd recommend following that instead of the one in this thread.
I agree, it is more detailed. This was never meant to be a full guide, just to help people at points where they might get confused (such as Windows users with the Luma .7z file, etc).
But I agree, follow that guide. Just come back to this one if you get stuck as it MIGHT end up helping.
#6✎ 246spaceturtlesVideo GamesI like to play video games!HobbiesAvatar BlockI didn't change my avatar for 30 days.WebsiteIntermediate ProgrammerI can make programs, but I still have trouble here and there. Programming StrengthWinrar can open 7zip files and the free trial lasts forever.
#7✎ 67triangleFirst WeekJoined in the very first week of SmileBASIC SourceWebsiteQuery DeniedHiddenEaster EggsExpert ProgrammerProgramming no longer gives me any trouble. Come to me for help, if you like!Programming Strengthhttp://www.7-zip.org/ can open 7zip files too and it's completely free.
#8✎ 221AnswerXOXGreat PageHiddenAchievementsRNGHiddenEaster EggsSecond YearMy account is over 2 years oldWebsite
#9✎ 246spaceturtlesVideo GamesI like to play video games!HobbiesAvatar BlockI didn't change my avatar for 30 days.WebsiteIntermediate ProgrammerI can make programs, but I still have trouble here and there. Programming StrengthAlso 7-zip is faster than winrar.